1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Reply, BigOrange or someone who self compresses

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cuminstd, Sep 2, 2004.

1. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

I never have been able to figurre out why DVDShrink appears to go backwards on manually selecting your compression. Almost all movies my kids have I backup I do the whole thing because they like all the special features. Mostly DVDShring selects in the area of 71.4% on automatic for example. If you manually choose your compression and move the slider down to say for example 45% from the 71.4% the file size actually gets smaller on the slider bar, not bigger. I never understood this, less compression should mean a larger file but better quality. What I always would like to do is have the least compression on the movie and the maximum amount on the special features possible. What am I seeing wrong in the interpretation here?? Even if you select just the movie file, it works this way, slide the compression bar down and the file size gets smaller.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

when you slide the bar left, it compresses more. the % listed is the % of the orignal movie left (100% means no compression). so, if it says 75%, it means you are using 25% compression.

3. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

OK, thanks, I find that to easily be confused as I have always been. I hope in future releases of DVDShrink maybe the Title Bar that shows this is changed so it isn't so confusing. It should be changed to say File Compression Percentage or something that is easily understood. As a matter of fact if would be helpful if up in the title bar there showed all the info, Compression and settings. All could easily be displayed there and you wouldn't have to go back and see what options you selected.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Well, I'm here but sly has answered the question effectively. Once you understand the setup it's not all that confusing.

As far as the new shrink, don't know if there will be another one, so you might as well learn this one's idiosynchrosies or maybe I should say characteristics. lol.

For a freeware it's hard to beat and it beats most paid for software versions. Good luck.....

5. cuminstd

cuminstd Member

Yes, DVDShrink is a pretty slick program and works well. It is mind boggling though why he decided to show compression backwards, the compression bar percent should be the amount of compression taking place. Both DVDDecryptor and DVDShrink have provided many with a very easy and effective way to back up their DVD's. A couple years ago I was making backups of SVCD's and having to use four or five separate programs and half of them never worked. My hat goes off to these guys for providing so many with such wonderful helpful tools.