1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plexitor or nec 2500

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by JJ636, Jun 17, 2004.

1. JJ636

JJ636 Member

Ok thanks for all your support on my Sony 4x burn problem (those f**kers) but I'm throwing in the towel on my 500a. I'm gonna get another drive. I've narrowed down my selection to plextor and nec. The cheapest I found on nec is 70.00 and the cheapest I found for the plextor is 145.00. Which of the two is more reliable, I'm more concerned about reliability than price. They both claim a 8x dvd-r burn (I've heard that one before) but plextor claims a 12x dvd+r. Do these drive live up to their burning claim.
    Are they picky on what media type to use in order to achieve ther 8x claim. Is the media they use costly.
    I'll be using your comments on the two drives to make my final decision, so don't leave any info. untold

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If money is no object (and even if it was), I'd personally go for the Plextor. I've had nothing but outstanding results from my PX-708A and the new PX-712 allows you to do PI/PO quality tests on your burned media with the PlexTools Pro software which is very handy.

Top quality drives and great performance :)

I've read mixed reviews on the NEC drives, with some folks having great luck with them and others complaining of the drives being picky about media.

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have used Plextor burners since my first one about 7 years ago. For burning, I would have nothing else, because I have had great luck with them. That does not mean that another brand is not good, also. Like others, I have my preferences.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[bold]"If money is no object(and even if it was}"[/bold]

That logic works for me.

[bold]I'd personally go for the Plextor.[/bold]

I went with the PX-712A because it's the best there is and money was no object(especially when we're talking a $100).