1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor’s ConvertX (DivX Recorder)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Skitzy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Has anyone tried this out yet?
    http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ConvertX2.htm
    The thought of capturing video directly into Divx without processing it seems too good to be true. Seems especially strange that Afterdawn doesn't have a single thread dedicated to such a device.. "this thing is gold" I would love to hear some user reviews and such.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Quite possible to capture directly to DivX without it. Just that most people would rather capture to a lossless format (or to TS) then encode using two passes.

3. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

Yes, that's all I'm wanting to do. Capture to a lossless format. I'm just not sure what device or program best suits my needs. I have been admiring the work of the RG or individual "aXXo" and from what I can tell, he/she/or they are the best. I have a few DVD back-ups that don't compare (due to hella compression of course) to the quality of the avi's aXXo is putting out there... and these are AVI's.. how do they do it? So now that I've seen such quality.. I want to emulate it. I'm just not sure I'm asking the right questions in the right places is all. I was sure that when I found that little device (the Plextor) that was the answer but I'm not sure of the quality is all. In other words.. just how lossy is it? Is there a better way to capture in real time? Maybe real time isn't the way to go, is there a program out there I can use for my computer that makes several passes that can do it better? If so, can I expect audio sync issues? Nothing worse than the kids first birthdays looking like a 70's Kung-Fu flick. Of course I'll always have the master copies on DVD but thats beside the point. I'm not going to get much sleep till I can produce an AVI that isn't sh1t. So if you can help.. please do, you will have a friend for life. Thanks

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

aXXo do DVD rips right? You won't get that kind of quality from an analogue capture.

If I recall they use Xvid with the aim of standalone compatibility. AutoGK with ESS enabled should give similar results, although I have no idea what kind of tweaking they do. If you don't have the restriction of hardware compatibility (or your player isn't ESS based) then you can get better quality anyway.

5. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

How do I find out if my player is ESS based? I tried looking but you can imagine what an acronym like ESS googles up. Since I have the $50 wal-mart fix I'm sure it is ESS based.(knowing my luck) Here is my player if that piece of info helps at all. [​IMG]
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=0KPNB5KNTHYGLJ0RMRESHQVHKFSEKI5P
    Thanks for all your help..

p.s. I've turned this thread into anything but a thread dedicated to the Plextor.. so after I figure out what to call it I'll be re-naming the thread title to something more appropriate.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

It is MTK based I believe. So that basically means that you can have qpel, multiple consecutive bvops, some CQM's and possibly higher VBV values.