1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor 16x burn speed

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by topgun99, Nov 11, 2004.

1. topgun99

topgun99 Guest

I have no problems burning DVD + R less then 7 minutes, but it takes me 30 minutes for my Plextor to read it onto my harddrive. Anyway I can increase the read time ?

2. RMeister

RMeister Guest

If you have a Plextor DVD Burner,716, 712 or 708, and it rips the Original DVD slowly (2X speed) then you need to do the following to have the Plextor Drive rip at 4 - 16X speed.

1. Hold the Drive Open/Drawer Open button in until you see the drive light blink green 3 times.
    2. Release the Button and the drawer opens.
    3. Place the Movie DVD in the drive and close the drawer.
    4. Start your DVD ripping software and rip the disk.

If you open the drawer or start another program that uses the DVD drive the rip speed will then drop back to the default 2X speed.
    Again, to over ride the 2x Movie DVD speed limit hold the Plextor Drawer Open button in until the Drive Light flashs 3 times.

3. Ifoman

Ifoman Guest

I have the Plextor 712A drive and a BenQ 1620 DL.
    You can also go into Plextools software and under Drive Settings click on Advanced and check(enable) Speed read cd/dvd.This brings my single layer read speeds to 12x and dual layer ie.ripping to approx 8-10x.
    Cheers.

4. topgun99

topgun99 Guest

Thanks RMeister and Ifoman for the tips. I own the Plextor PX-716A model and I went with Ifoman tip. I am now reading the dvds between 6-7 minutes at 16X instead of 30 minutes!! Thanks a bunch Ifoman!

5. Ifoman

Ifoman Guest

Glad to be of assistance topgun.

6. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

I also have the 712 and would like to try this.
    I'm concerned that speeding up the encoding speed will result in poor quality back ups.
    Is this true?

7. Ifoman

Ifoman Guest

I don't think so.The deep analysis helps to support quality and I believe in using it.Maybe the mods or senior members(Scuba Pete) can verify this presumption.
    I've performed aprox.50 rips with my 712A with speed read enabled and if I'm using decent media all my burns turn out pristine.

8. RMeister

RMeister Guest

I have had a Plextor 708A and now have a Plextor 716A. I have ripped over 100 DVD's without Deep Analysis and Speed Read turned on, to date I have not dropped/lost any data. I use Fuji, Sony and Memorex blanks at 4X burn. I used some cheap discs and burned some coasters but it was the discs.

I recently experimented with the Change BookType setting for DVD + R and have had great success with the disc being read on all 5 of my DVD Players. Today I am going to burn a DVD + R DL and will post the results here.

9. RMeister

RMeister Guest

I ripped a DVD to disk (12X read) and burned it to a DVD + R Dual Layer Verbatim disc at 2.4X in 50 minutes. I ran the DVD and only had a slight glitch at the layer break, little more noticable then then usual, other then that all went OK.