1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor 708A DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Moejoe70, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Moejoe70

Moejoe70 Member

I was wondering if anyone could help with a DVD-R issue using a Plextor 708A with firmware version 1.08. I am not able to get a DVD-R to work in my drive. I have tried Memorex and Ridata DVD-Rs. When I tried using these two buring with Nero it would hang my system, the only thing I could do would be reboot. I am able to use DVD+R without an issue.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Strange. I almost exclusively use RiDATA -R in my PX-708A though I'm still using fw 1.06 because I've had zero problems with it.

It's a long shot but uninstalling the drive through Device Manager might do the trick. Here's how:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

Have you always had a problem with -R or did this problem just start?

3. Moejoe70

Moejoe70 Member

I have never been able to use a -R. Maybe I should try a back rev to 1.06. Although 1.08 is suppose to improve the write quaility specifically for Ritek media. By the way what do you use to burn your ISOs...I use Nero.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  4. Nephilim

So uninstalling the drive didn't help?

I used to use Nero and Orlogix RecordNowDX but lately I've been using Copy To DVD and don't plan on switching back. It has to be the most well thought out and best performing burning app I've used.

5. Moejoe70

Moejoe70 Member

I will have to wait till tonight to remove drive and readd. I will let you know what happens.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  6. Nephilim

Keep in mind that you don't physically take the drive out. Just follow the steps I gave above. You can do it all through Windows :)

7. Moejoe70

Moejoe70 Member

I did understand your statement. That did not do the trick. Although I do have a Soyo Dragon+ motherboard with on board raid. I did take my Plextor DVD burner off the raid IDE connector(although raid is not activated and it should act as a normal IDE connector)and put it onto a normal IDE connector and that did work. Although it did take a few minutes to check the media and start the write to the blank DVD-R. My next question is would I just be better off going with Ridata DVD+Rs. The only reason I am trying to get the DVD-Rs to work is that I have been told that the DVD-Rs are the way to go. I have tried Memorex DVD+R and had problems with skipping, I was told that Memorex was on the do not use list. So is it just that I need to go with a better brand of DVD blanks or is it the format?

8. Coba

Coba Member

With a 708A you should be doing better with DVD+R discs(Burns are 8X and Plextor drives prefer DVD+R). Also I would recomend the newest firmware and newest PLEXTOOLS PRO because you then should be able to do bitsetting.

9. Nephilim

I strongly disagree. I've several hundred perfect -R burns with my 708A as have many other people.

@Moejoe70

How old is your drive? If it's still under warranty I'd contact Plextor because you shouldn't be having these problems with good media.

Neither format (+/-) is instrinsically better than the other and you shoul be able to burn both formats without problems.

10. Moejoe70

Moejoe70 Member

I believe I had bought it this summer. I was wondering the same thing, if maybe I had a bad drive. Up until now I had just been using it for data backups.

11. Nephilim

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  12. Moejoe70

Moejoe70 Member

I will contact Plextor. Thank you all for your replies.

13. Nephilim

No problem. Let us know how it goes or if we can help any further :)

14. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

i had similar problems with my plextor 708A drive too. but i was using the 1.06 firmware than, i installed the new 1.08 version and that fixed all my problems. all i burn is ritek G04 dvd-r or ritek dvd+r discs on my plextor drive. i used many programs, but elby's clone dvd works the best for me. i just used the "write existing data" option and select the folder that i want to burn and let it do the rest, 2nd program would be sonic record now max, or stomp record now max v4.50 great programs. but anyways, my drive used to like ritek for a while, and than one day it just stoped writing it and reading it, all ill get is the 2 blinking yellow light pattern, till i went to plextor.com and got the new firmware, that fixed everything!

15. Moejoe70

Moejoe70 Member

Jdilla,

Thanks for the reply, although as I stated in my first message, I started with firmware 1.08.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004