1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor 708A runs in PIO mode on Gigabyte GA-7VAXP VIA chipset.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by buckysabi, Dec 4, 2004.

1. buckysabi

buckysabi Member

I hope someone can solve this problem. As you can see below, I have a Plextor PX-708A installed in my system connected to a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP (VIA KT400 chipset). It is set to run in DMA if available. It is set to Master. This motherboard is equiped with RAID. I have moved cable to the different IDE connectors, removed my CD burner completely and nothing seems to work. I have the most current firmware from Plextor and have the most updated 4 in 1 from VIA Arena.

If was working in Ultra DMA at first. It then switched to PIO mode. I made calls to both Plextor and Gigiabyte. As standard, it was mostly the other guys fault, especially from Gigabyte. The people from Plextor were great/patient, but we still never really got it fixed permanently. I was able to get it working in Multi Word DMA, but just recently it once again regressed back to PIO.

Does anyone know of a fix for this? I have learned a lot of this stuff through much reading and phone calls, but still consider myself a newbie so please be kind and speak slowly.

Thanks.

2. SkyWNC

SkyWNC Member

hey, try to uninstall the drive in Device Manager. Uninstall both in IDE controller and DVD/CD Rom. It happened to me once and doing that solved my problem, i was able to get my burner to run back in UDMA

3. buckysabi

buckysabi Member

I already did uninstall the IDE and restarted. That got me back to Multi Word DMA, but still can't get Ultra DMA. I will try to uninstall the DVD drive.

As an additional thought from my conversations with Plextor. I was told that their drive does not do well with VIA chipsets. Neither of the companies has been able to come up with a stable fix.

Thanks again.