1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor 716A suddenly produces only coasters! HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ripper82, Jan 16, 2005.

1. ripper82

ripper82 Member

I just bought a new Plextor 716A drive and burned a few good DVD-Rs on Sony media at 8x, and then suddenly I started having this strange problem (with the same discs as I was using before). The drive would flash yellow, amber, green for a while during the lead-in writing, then it would spin up, spin down, spin up, spin down, over and over for a minute or so, then finally start writing after about 2 minutes total.

Then, when the disc comes out, there is a half-inch thick ring of darker dye in the center than in the rest of the disc, and it can't be read by either of my DVD drives or my DVD player. (See below)

[​IMG]

I tried 6x burning, with the same result. Then, with 4x burning, I was able to burn the Sony discs, Khypermedia discs, and Fujifilm DVD-RW discs with no problem.

I thought it might be a DMA mode problem like I had with my previous drive, which kept it from burning at full speed because it was in PIO mode, but the drive was showing up in DMA Mode 4. I tried uninstalling the secondary IDE channel and restarting the computer, just in case, but it made no difference.

I don't understand what the problem is here. The drive was burning the Sony DVD-Rs at 8x just fine for a while, then for absolutely no reason it just started making these coasters (but only above 4x). I had burned a good disc at 8x immediately before I burned the first disc that had this problem, and now I have 9 coasters in my trash can. This drive is supposed to handle up to 16x, and the discs are branded for 8x. Any ideas?

I've also had strange results with the two brands of media I'm using (Sony and Khypermedia)... See my post about that here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/148243

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. ripper82

ripper82 Member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear... The scan is of a Sony disc, not of the Khypermedia. The problem is occuring while trying to burn Sony discs at above 4x, I can't test any other discs above 4x because the only ones I have are 4x Khypermedias.

4. Nephilim

Did you get the manufacturer ID off the Sony discs?

5. ripper82

ripper82 Member

SONY08D1: Sony Recording Media Co.

6. Nephilim

Your Sony's aren't on the recommended media list on Plextor's site but they're on the compatible list so you should be fine there. What firmware revision do you have installed? It looks like the latest is 1.03 which improves writing on -R media.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/downloads/firm_716.htm

7. ripper82

ripper82 Member

I installed the 1.03 as soon as I put the drive in my computer :p

8. Nephilim

Ah, I see you're way ahead of me then :)

My next suggestion would be to try some of the media on the recommended list and see if you can get the desired burn speeds.

9. ripper82

ripper82 Member

Any idea why the drive is burning that discolored ring in the center?

10. Nephilim

The ring may be from where the drive cranks up the burn speed but I couldn't tell you for sure if that's what's happening in your case.

11. ripper82

ripper82 Member

Two guesses...

I've left PlexTools open while burning with Nero and I notice something interesting. I have all the following options in PlexTools turned on (and others, but these are notable):

Enable Buffer Underrun Proof
    Enable SpeedRead CD/DVD
    Enable AutoStrategy
    Change BookType for DVD+R
    Change BookType for DVD+R DL

Then, when I start burning with Nero, they all magically become unchecked. Nero doesn't even say "Buffer Underrun Protection Activated" like it used to.

So, I have two theories. First, buffer underrun protection is being turned off somehow and this is causing the bad burns above 4x (though it shouldn't be, considering my computer and hard drives are fast and the drive is able to burn at 16x, and it's on DMA mode 4). But I read online that DVD drives burn a Lead-In to test the media, and perhaps since the AutoStrategy is apparently being turned off somehow, maybe the drive is burning a ridiculously long lead-in test, and that's what the huge ring in the center is from.

Does that sound likely?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  12. Nephilim

Sounds like having PlexTools open while running Nero might be a factor doesn't it? What happens if you leave PlexTools closed?

I have PlexTools installed for my PX-708A but I never leave it running when using Nero and have never had any issues with burn speeds or the buffer underrun shutting off.

13. ripper82

ripper82 Member

I'm relatively sure I only started opening PlexTools after this problem began (to try to troubleshoot), but I'm not positive. I'll check into trying to burn with it closed tomorrow...

Thank you for trying to help, btw ;)