1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor ConvertX- USB2.0 Capture issues

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Cman, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Cman

Cman Member

While trying to back up my OLDER VHS movies to DVD, I used this capture device in conjunction with a SIMA. The video was then rendered using the WinDVD Creator-2 software into a .MPG file on my fastest HD. I then used TMPGEnc to convert that file into a MPG-2 for burning to a DVD-disc. The picture quality deteriorated trememdously and I'm not sure if its a resolution issue or if the project was over-encoded by both the WinDVD and the TMP apps. I am presently waiting for my ADVC-100 box in the mail. Sure could use some help finding where I went wrong? Would I have been better off rendering the capture to a .AVI file instead of Mpeg?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

UM...Why are you re-encodeing this File over and Over again??? You Capture device Captures Directly to Mpeg2 so all you have to do Is Capture the File and then Author it to DVD..Thats IT, You Just Capture a Mpeg file with your Plextor Capture device to a Resolution of 720+480/576-Pal then Throw the File into a DVD authoring Program(Not WinDVD Creator) Like a Simple one Like "Tmpgenc DVD Author" (Not the Encoder) and you will have a DVD.....Cheers

3. Cman

Cman Member

Wow.. Shooting myself in the foot eh? :)

Which would be better. Capture in Mpeg2 then author or Capture in AVI, convert then author?

Hopefully I don't sound like a moron here.. :)

Happy New Years !!

4. mogodon

mogodon Guest

as Minion said capture in mpeg2 then author.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It would be easier if you captured to Mpeg2 and then authored directly to DVD...I was Under the Impression that this device only captured to Mpeg??

6. Cman

Cman Member

yep. I was confused between the capture phase and the edit phase of WinDVD Creator 2. The device only is supported by WinDVD so I'm stuck using it for capture. However, it appears I do have options for authoring? I do have TMPGEnc author software so I should use it instead? Again, by monday I will have my ADVC100 in so between now and then, I'll give the convertx its final chance at redemption.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes all you have to do is Capture your DVD Compliant Mpeg2 files and then Drop them into "Tmpgenc DVD author" (Not the encoder) and then author them to DVD..If you can capture in WinDVD Creator and not use it to render the File,(The captured file will probably be sitting in a Temp directory somewere) and do any Editing with a Proper Mpeg editor Like Mpeg2VCR and then author to DVD you will Get Higher Quality Because when you use WinDVD Creator to Render your Project it Re-Encodes the Files to Render the Project which Lowers the Quality considerably..I"m surprised that they Package WinDVD Creator with your capture device because useing it is a Rendundant operation which can only serve to lower the Quality..
    When you get your ADVC-100 you will be able to edit in it"s Native DV format withing Most Good DV editors Like Vegas Video or Premier without Looseing Quality and then encode the Edited File to Mpeg2/DVD with a High Quality encoder Like Tmpgenc or Mainconcept Encoder..There is also a way to disable the Macrovision Detectionon the ADVC-100 so you will be able to capture from VHS Tapes and DVD"s...If you need any help when you get it let me Know and I"ll try to help the best I can....Cheers

8. Cman

Cman Member

Minion and all you folks that responded, thanks for your help so far. Using TMPGEnc has done wonders for my capturing. Makes me rethink the need for the ADVC100 however, since I've spent considerable time and funds compiling my VHS collection, I only want the best.

The ADVC has yet to arrive and that's a different issue I'm dealing with at the moment with the vendor. Lovely the things you have to deal with sometimes.. :)

Presently, I want to convert mpg-2 to mpg-4 as to combine 2 movies to ONE DVD. We're talking roughly 190 minutes. Any suggestions as to applications or techniques?

Any help from any quarter would be welcome.. :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2004
  9. Minion

Minion Senior member

You Can"t Play Mpeg-4 on a Standard DVD Player and even the Ones that Do support Mpeg-4 Playback only do so when Burned on to CD-R"s...If you have fairly high Quality source files then you should be able to Fit 190 minutes on a DVD without that Much Trouble Plus there are other DVD Formats that allow you to get More Video on a DVD, even up to 6 hours of Video when useing the SIF DVD Standard..There are 4 DVD Standards that can be used to make DVD"s, The standard one that is used on Most Retail DVD"s is called the "Full D1 Standard" which uses a Resolution of 720X480/576-Pal ,then there is the "Broadcast D1 Standard" with uses a Resolution of 704X480/576-Pal, then there is the "Half D1 Standard" which uses 352X480/576-Pal and lastly the "Sif DVD Standard" which uses 352X240/288-Pal..The Half D1 Standard allows More than Twice as Much Video on a DVD than the Normal Fill D1 standard because it uses Half the Resolution and Bitrate, the Sif DVD standard allows For More than Twice that at 6+ hours of Video on a DVD because it can use Half the Half D1 standard Resolution and Bitrate...The Half D1 standard is Better than SVCD Quality and the SIF Standard Gives Between VCD and SVCD Quality..Believe it or Not Many poeple Can not even tell the Differance in quality between the Sif and Full D1 standards When Viewed on a Regular TV Set..So if you really want to get more Video on a DVD then Try one of the Other DVD standards because Mpeg-4 will in all likely hood Not work...Cheers

10. Cman

Cman Member

Hope you had a great New Year's pardner! Finally got my ADVC100 today. Looks so far like its the goods. Love the firewire connectivity. No issues with USB drivers and such. Was wondering about the macrovision issue though. Could use the help backing up my VHS stuff. Workaround perhaps? Could also use any tips on how to tweak the ADVC to get the most out of it..

Thanks again!

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Here are Instructions on how to disable the Macrovision detection on the ADVC-100 as Copied from another site :

Hardware Decoder/Cards Macrovision-free Method :
    Canopus ADVC-100 Tip submitted by anonymous

How to disable Macrovision on the Canopus ADVC-100 hardware video converter device :
    #1)Press and HOLD the Input Select switch.
    #2)When colour-bars appear at analogue output, KEEP THE BUTTON PRESSED.
    #3)Wait until the colour-bars DISAPPEAR before releasing the button.
    Macrovision is now disabled until the unit is switched off. You do not have to be playing a Macrovision-protected signal into the box while doing this.

This should work from what I have heard But if for some reason it does not work you can allways pick up a Video Stabilizer for about $30 that will do it for you...Cheers

12. SoonerG

SoonerG Member

Minion
    I am a novice at using the Convertx. Reading the manual, it appears that you can select MPEG 1 or 2 for DVDs. I am unable to locate a provision for selection. Reading this thread, it appears you are indicating the capture is to MPEG 2. Is this correct? Also, I am interested in your comments about Tmpgene DVD Author. What is the best source to purchase this software?

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

All of the DVD Formats Require Mpeg2 accept the SIF DVD Format which can use Mpeg1 or 2 but this Format is not used very often...You can download Tmpgenc DVD author here: http://www.tmpgenc.net/ ..Just click the Banner on the bottom and it will take you to were you can download the 30 day trial and if you Like it then you can Buy the registration information..It also now comes with a Plugin to encode the Audio to Dolby digital but this Plugin Costs extra...Cheers

14. Cman

Cman Member

Minion, Thanks for you advice. I finally have my Canopus ADVC100 up and running. Capturing in AVI then encoding to Mpeg-2 does result in high quality backups. However, the entire process is slow in that I'm running a single proc AMD2500XP and 1GB RAM. Both HD's are 7200RPM Can you advise of a faster setup for this purpose?

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, What Part of the Proscess is too slow for you?? As my system isn"t that much faster than yours (p-4 2.8ghz 512mb DDR Ram)and the Longest Part for me is the Captureing and the encodeing is the fastest Part, So what part do you want to speed up????

16. Cman

Cman Member

The transcoding part. Maybe I'm spoiled by doing DVD backups but 3hrs or longer to transcode a 90min movie after capture in AVI format using TMPGEnc seems a bit long to me. WinDVD can capture in Mpeg but the quality really drops off so I only use WinDVD creator as a capture app now and encode using TMPGEnc. Transcoding from AVI to Mpeg-2 evidently is a time consuming process?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  17. Minion

Minion Senior member

What encoder are you useing??? For me when useing CCE it takes about 45minutes for a 2 Hour movie, actually the DVD authoring is the Longest Part becides Captureing for me...Even the MainConcept Encoder should Be Fairly fast compared to something like Tmpgenc...Cheers

18. SoonerG

SoonerG Member

Can you tell me what format I have when I capture VHS using Convertx? Is it MPG or something else.

19. Cman

Cman Member

You have 2 choices when using WinDVD Creator2 that's bundled with your ConvertX. You can either do DV-AVI or Mpeg2. I think it defaults to Mpeg2 but I could be mistaken..

20. SoonerG

SoonerG Member

Minion, do you know of a filter that works with Convertx to allow capture of Macrovision protected VHS tapes? In a post dated Jan 6, you mentioned a Video Stabilizer for about $30.00 that will do it. Will it work with Convertx?

In a post dated Jan 1, you state Convertx captures direct to MPEG 2. In the manual, it states you select MPEG 1 or 2 during the "Save Project as" in the Edit function but I am unable such a selection.