1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-712A

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by axlman, Nov 16, 2004.

1. axlman

axlman Regular member

Hey there all in forum land, well I just installed my new plexy drive. I just ran nero drive info, and it's telling me that the drive cannot write dual layer (does not have the cabability) anyone know why? I just updated the firmware to 1.05

I could have sworn that when I saw the ad for this online, it said that it dual layer. So now I'm wondering a couple of things, 1: should I send it back and get a dual layer burner? and would it be worth it?

If I do send it back, what brand and model of a 12x dual layer burner should I get?

Does anyone know if plextor plans on writing firmware for this drive so it can burn and read dl discs?

thanks for any replies.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

The 712A can't write to dual layer media. You want the Plextor 716A. (And so do I. :( )

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think 716 is the model # for the dual layer Plextor. Plextor drives are about the best out there. Next in line would be the Pioneer drives. You usually won't go wrong with either of these.

Jerry

4. wild77

wild77 Guest

The model is PX-716A and is listed on there web site with a msrp of $149. The SATA version of this drive should be available sometime in mid December at $159,can't wait to get mine!

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Thanks for your reply, back to us, Axlman. (Sarcasm intended)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004