1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-712SA ?? or can I find better???

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bizzle93, Dec 20, 2004.

1. wild77

wild77 Guest

Like they say [bold]You get what you pay for[/bold] I will take my Plextor over any burner out there!With the rebate I paid $80 for a PX-712.

2. bizzle93

bizzle93 Member

Don't I only want to update the firmware, If I'm having problems?

3. Gswiss

Gswiss Member

Wild77, I won't argue with you because I like Plextor too, even though once in a while they come out with a lemon. I bought a cd burner from that brand some time ago and was very satisfied.

However, about 6 months ago the best DVD burner on the market for the price, with the DVD+R9 feature, was NEC 3500 and Plextor was overpriced. Now Plextor has become more reasonable, thanks to competition.

On the other hand I don't fully agree that you always get your money's worth. There is a minimum of course but the most expensive is not always the best. Read a few independent reviews or forums on any topic and you'll see what I mean.

4. wild77

wild77 Guest

Gswiss all companies have lemons.Sometimes you get a bad one some more than others.I have read a lot of reviews and Plextor always has had a good reputation.I personally have used five of there drives in systems I have built and never had a problem.No matter what brand you buy,use a reputable retailer or online company with a good reputation and return policy.That way if there is a problem you won'tget stuck with something you are not happy with.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about that. I got my PX 716 for $99.99 only because I got a $30 mail in rebate. You can get the 3500 for I believe $65 on newegg. But I wanted the Plextor.

6. wild77

wild77 Guest

@flip218 How do you like the new Plextor PX-716?I have the PX-712 and have been thinking about upgrading soon.

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

My nec 3500 is a real gem. $66 with free shipping. It's burned everything that I've thrown at it flawlessly, at 12 and 16x no less. PC games, PS2 games, DVDs, DVD MP3s, Picture DVDs, etc etc etc. Great media compatability. And all that without even bothering to update the firmware from the 2.16 it came with.

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

@wild77,

No problems yet. but still burn at 4x (habit). Haven't done any dual layer yet, been thinking about getting some discs (but then I think which movie is worthy?)

9. bizzle93

bizzle93 Member

here is the update:

burns movies just fine at 4x with ritek ridata +'s

However....backing up Xboxes games it does not burn so well, I'm using ritek ridata -'s burning at 4x then 2 x they play like crap. burned them at max speed they come out good, does this make and sence? shouldn't it come out better the slower I burn?

and I did update my firmware to BS41.

10. titosal

titosal Member

to Wild 77

How long did it take you to get your rebate from Plextor, I send mine for $30.00 Nov. 2 '04, up to now Jan. 24 '05, I have not receive my rebate, it still on process it is more than 11 weeks now. Thanks.

11. wild77

wild77 Guest

Mailed my rebate on 9/01/04 still have not received the check!!!Have called and E-mailed several times,was told check was mailed 12/23/04 still not here.Going to call one final time as it looks like I will never see this rebate.

12. titosal

titosal Member

Try not to give up. Just keep on e-mailing them. I will do the same, maybe the others can do the same. Then maybe we can get our rebates. What a Company this is? Thanks.

13. Jdilla

Jdilla Regular member

well ive delt with plextor before, and i can assure you that their warranty is very good. i had a plextor 708A as my first drive, it worked good for 6 months only, than it started to give me blinking yellow lights, called plextor customer service because my warranty was for 1 year, they gave me an rma application, 2 days later i had a rma number to send the malfunctioning drive back to them, they replaced it with a plextor 712A. so far i have no problems with it, but than again ive only had it for 2 months. i only burn on fujifilm media. but plextor is pretty good in customer support.