1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-716A Problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by hooahman, Dec 4, 2004.

1. hooahman

hooahman Member

Hello. I recieved the Plextor PX-716A DVD writer as a birthday present this November. It has been working fine until yesterday. I had just finished burning a backup of one of my movies and went to burn some data stuff and it wouldn't detect the CD-R. DVD-R worked fine though, so I used that. Later last night, I went to burn some more data stuff and now even DVD-R's do not work.

I was afraid it might be virus/spyware, so I did a scan for both. Had some spyware, but no viruses. So this is what happens:
    1. I insert a piece of blank media
    2. I used to get a pop up askign what I wanted to do with the blank disc, but I no longer recieve that
    3. I try to use a CD/DVD burning program (I have tried Alchohol 120%, DVD X Copy, Nero, and a few others), but it keeps asking me to insert a disc

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I have read, many times, that Alcohol 120 can cause problems with other burning software installed.

I would first go to Device Manager and remove the Plextor, reboot, and see if all is ok.

If not, go to Plextor's website and see if there is a firmware update. If so, install it.

If you already have the latest firmware, then I would uninstall Alcohol, InCd, if you installed it with Nero, and any other packet writing software that may be on your computer.

In addition, remove any spyware that you may have on your computer (use AdAware and/or Spybot), then defrag your hard drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  3. hooahman

hooahman Member

Thanks for trying but unfortunately none of this stuff worked :(.

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

When did it first occur? If you have Win XP, the best quick fix is to use the Restore feature to go back to anything that might have changed in your system settings that is causing your problems. Otherwise, you can try reinstalling or rolling back the burner drivers through Device Manager.

Check Plextor forum here. Maybe they can help. http://forum.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  5. hooahman

hooahman Member

It stopped working on December 3. I can not restore back before then. It stopped working around 3pm, but the most recent restore point was 11pm that day :(. The 1 & 2 of December do not have any restore points. For some reason, i can not even go back to Novemember at all. I click the back button on the calendar and it just stays on December :(.

6. GawZ

GawZ Member

mine had the same problem except it never worked from the day i bought it, so i just brought it back and got a new one. in my case, the drive was bad... i'm guessing your drive may have gone bad also.

7. wild77

wild77 Guest

Have you tried running the Self Diagnostics Test on your drive,there is a section in your manual that tells you how to do this.