1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-716SA (PlZ help guys :( ).......

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by magneto67, Mar 27, 2005.

1. magneto67

magneto67 Member

Hey guys first let me say i've been reading these forums for about 6 months and finally feel like I can contribute to the group. However, I have come across a new problem.

Here are my specs:

athlon 2.5 ghz
    1000+mb ram
    Plextor px-716SA
    ASUS A7v600 motherboard

I just bought a new plextor serial ATA 716 and I am having some horrible issues. I bought the reccomended media from plextor and went to burn, but I have two issues...

1) The burner is set to default (max) burning speeds, but on a 8x burn I get 2x and 40x cdr burn I get 20x.

2) BIG problem. My CACHE on plextools, roxio and disc juggler is just flappin back and forth from 100% and then scrolling down to 10% and then back up to 80% (you get the idea).

I have updated the firmware for the drive and I updated my motherboard drivers but still no fix. I am using Windows XP sp2 and can't figure out why this is occuring. Plextor said to check my PoweRec, but i don't know if that would be it. Everything in plextools looks just fine.

I've owned 4 plextors before this one and love the drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you all for your time ! ! ! !! . :)

Magneto

PS I read the manual and setup the drive as indicated (which seemed like not to many steps)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  2. eric545

eric545 Regular member

magneto67

Either uninstall the plextor tools software or simply ignore it. I have to Plextor PX-716SA burners. I do the following every time I want to make a backup copy of a DVD. I first use DVD Decrypter, then DVD Shrink, then I burn the DVD using my Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. My system consists of what is displayed at the bottom of this message. I never ever have any problems with burning. I am using firmware version 1.04 in one of my 716SA's and version 1.05 in the other and they both work fine.

3. magneto67

magneto67 Member

thanks so much eric. I ran a few tests and found that my motherboard (although w/ 2 sata ports) would not correctly setup the drive. Therefore, had to go buy a SATA card and that fixed the problem in a snap! :)

4. aikenwolf

aikenwolf Member

Magneto67,

what controller did you get to do this?

5. magneto67

magneto67 Member

You want the adaptec SATA PCI card. Been running it with NO problems. Full speeds, no buffer errors, A+ product. Check out CompUSA to pick it up and Plextor has it under their advise area on their site.

Hope this helps :)

6. EliaZInn

EliaZInn Guest

Magnet, I have an asus motherboard w/ 2 sata. I have been having some problems as well. How did you check to make sure that their was something wrong with the onboard sata controler?

E-

7. magneto67

magneto67 Member

nothing changed on my board and I actually called plextor and was on the phone with their top techie for about and hour. After all updates and any possible trouble shoot, we finalized on it being the Asus board. Not to mention I have a nifty email from Asus saying that they have been having issues with their SATA on their boards. :)