1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor SATA problems Please any help.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by PlextorS, Nov 11, 2004.

1. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

I have a Plextor PX-712 SATA with Asus P4C800 motherboard(latest BIOS) XP Pro and can`t get the DVD drive to work correctly no mater what i tried. I have applied the latest ASPI from adaptec ect. Tryed all the info on Plextor web site(nothing helped).

Can anyone help?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Could you provide more detail as to what exactly isn't working, any and all errors and all the steps you've taken to try and remedy the situation? The more we know the better we can help :)

3. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

Well I can't get It to burn DVDs fo starters but it will burn CDr's - trouble is i already have 2 other CD burners - really wanted a DVD burner..

And I could provide you with more details <IF> I could get the plexTools ( I did upgrade to v2.18 and that got it to recognise the drive as a SATA type once then it went back to IDE type) software to run without crashing all the time. (then I have to reboot, can't use task manager to unload plextools)

other things i have tried was to upgrade my Nero(OEM) with the patch/software from Ahead website.

Got the latest ASPI from Adaptec (and applied it)

re-installed the OS (win2K) twice.

Upgraded from Win2K to XP pro. (same problems)

applied the latest BIOS upgrade from Asus website.

And now I have RMA'd Plextor for another drive. (the second time ;-# )

4. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

A few other things i noticed ( and this may or maynot b any use) is that on some of the part-burned DVDs there seems to be unusual marks - as if it it had been burned twice - on some and other strange markings on others - like darker areas on some parts of the DVD.

OS Name MicrosoftWindows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2798 Mhz
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2798 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1017.004, 22/07/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory
    System Directory
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Time Zone GMT Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 774.49 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 2.40 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

5. PlextorS

PlextorS Guest

Other things I just noticed is that now I have removed the Plextor Drive PlexTools works fine without crashing. All the functions work for the other standard CDRom just fine.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ok, for the sake of clarity:

- When the SATA drive is installed PlexTools locks up your system but when you uninstall the actual drive, PlexTools works fine, correct?

Conversely, the drive performs fine when PlexTools is uninstalled correct?

Are you connecting the drive directly to your motherboard and if so have you searched for updated chipset or onboard controller drivers?

If you're using a PCI SATA adapter have you installed the latest drivers for it?