1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLZ Explain Dual Layer...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by PennRon, Aug 27, 2004.

1. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:

I have been using decrypter and shrink with a Plextor 708a drive. Can someone explain the new dual layer technology. Can I assume that dual layer discs hold about 8.5 gig because data is written on both sides? If so can someone suggest a drive and will decrypter and shrink work with this new technology? I would assume that there will be no more compression when creating a backup. Thank you...Regards

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Try here for more info http://www.dvddemystified.com
    Dual layer does hold 8.5gb
    It is written to a single side, two layers on that side, much like the original dvd-9's
    You need a dual layer burner
    Media is very expensive at the moment
    Dont need to use shrink anymore
    Use dvd43 and nero/dvd decrypter to back up

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Deadcat is right, media is expensive. The lowest I have seen is about 6.00 ea. I believe.

The new shrink 3.2 is able to backup dual layer burning with decrypter or nero. Of course now you could even put 2 or 3 movies on one disc and compress and/or re-author/edit. In one instance I took a 2 disc set(one movie and one special features) and put both on one disc for my backup. Therefore I think there will still be a need for compression and re-authoring using DL.

You could also just use decrypter, rip(read) in ISO mode and Burn(write) in ISO.

4. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

Gentlemen:

Thank you. I am now demsytified! Now that I have a head start I will research it to death. I'm sure many of us will probably switch to this technology when prices stabilize. Regards...