1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plz, Help me with my RAM

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikeshshr, Apr 23, 2007.

1. mikeshshr

mikeshshr Member

I have 2 DDR-SDRAM. one is 512 MB and the other is kinda old one 128 MB.
    Both are DDR-SDRAM but their maximum frequency bandwidth are different as I figured out using software cpu-z.
    is it good to keep both the RAM on the same computer.
    will it slow my computer or may it crash my system or something even worse
    Plz help me out

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

It won't crash your computer but your pc's memory will only run at the speed of the one with the lowest frequency regardless if the another memory frequency is higher,if you can understand what i'm saying.For example,let's say i have one stick of DDR333 and another stick of DDR400 and i want to use both of them,then my overall memory frequency will be as the one which is DDR333,i.e,running at frequency 166Mhz(which when you double because it's double data rate memory will give you 333Mhz)and not DDR400(200MhzX2=400Mhz).

Vincent.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  3. mikeshshr

mikeshshr Member

Thanks for the info.
    My old RAM is DDR266 (don't know its frequency)
    I have not installed it yet so i don't know much about it]
    But i don't know what my new RAm i'm using lately is
    using a CPU-Z software it said:
    Type : ddr-sdram
    size:512 mb
    frequency:134.4 MHz
    fsb-dram:fsb+33MHz
    Max. Bandwidth:pC3200(200 MHz)
    I bought this RAM just a few weeks ago but why is my RAM's frequency just 134.4 MHz. Have i been cheated by the shopkeeper by giving me the old RAM?

4. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hi!Don't worry about the ram,you did not get cheated at all.If you look well at the frequency for your ram using cpu-z,you'll notice it's 134.4Mhz,just double that figure because do not forget it's double data rate memory,so you'll get approx.266 as stated ddr266.So it will be fine if you put it work together with the old ram you already have.

Note that referring to cpu-z,your board can support pc3200(which is also known as dd400),so you can easily put ddr400 memory rams for better performance.But if in future you decide to do so,it's better you put all your memory sticks as ddr400 and not mix them because if you mix them with some slower ram,the frequency it will be running will be at the slowest one.

Vincent.

Last edited: May 2, 2007