1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plz Help which DVD±R/RW will you pick for...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by pwangdel, Apr 5, 2004.

1. pwangdel

pwangdel Member

Greetings:

I've read some postings / reviews in cdrinfo forum and DVDRHELP and finally make my choice over these burners:

NEC ND-2500A , BENQ800A / BenQ DW822A, PIONEER DVR-107D. The BENQ800A & DVR-107D is based solely on reading the conclusion. Effectively, all the technical test are all greek to me. If it were you which one will you pick for the following tasks and softwares:

1- Making / Burning ISO, BIN CD-R format using WinIso and CDRWIN from Golden Hawk Technology. It would be great if the recording time can match my current non-working Sony CRX215A1 (48X 24X 48X) i.e burn a full 700MB in approx 4 minutes.

2- Burning data using Nero Buning Rom

3- Intend to make backup of my valuable Kung Fu's movies collection using DVDXCOPY. Effectively, for unknown reason some of my 3, 4 years old suddenly refuse to play. The backup must able to be played on most major DVD player or at least on these Pionner DVD-V630, SONY DVP-NC665P, SONY SLV-D300P and Dell Inspiron 8000. I am wondering if movies less than 2H could be hold on one DVD±R.

4- Eventually, make some Tai-Chi video using MiniDV, Di8 and Ulead Video Studio 6.5 (preferable), 7.0 or later if needs be.

Personnally I prefer BENQ DW822A due to its upgradeable firmware to become a Dual layer in the future. However, it will be no use if it can't perform the above task. Therefore any recommendation (under $150) would be welcomed and appreciated.

My current IDE DVD-ROM is LiteON XJ-HD166S

Thanks in advance for your recommendation and help.

2. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

personally i would and have gone for 107D plus it will have firmware that will enable it write dual layers

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't say the A07/107 [bold]will[/bold] have a firmware to do dual layers as things can change, I would say it has a high possiblity it could be released.

As for your needs, you are asking for too much in a burner to get what you want. You have to make some compromises on certain things as some drives do one thing better while it might be weak in another area.

Example : Your Sony CRX215A1 (48X 24X 48X) might burn a disc in 4 minutes and there are some DVD burners that have high speed CDR capabilities but then when it comes to DVD burning it might not be so fast (maybe only 4x) and only extract at 2x whereas the A07/107 can be flashed to extract at up to 12x and burn slower speed/ less costing media at 8x!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Please Search before posting http://forums.afterdawn.com/search . Here is my PS2 Tutorial http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/15105[/small]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  4. pwangdel

pwangdel Member

Thank you all for your recommendation and advice.

May be I overlook while I am browsing other forums, but I didn't see any post about firmware update for A07/107D but there will be one for 106D. The BENQ on the other hand has the information post at the manufacture web-site. It's certainly not fool proof that they will release it in the future but it is more re-assurant than speculation. I purchase the BenQ for this time being for its price $122 including tax + 2day shipping ($101 + Free Ground Shipping for all other State Excep CA, NJ and another one that I forgot). I give it one year of service then will change / update to something better later on.