1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLZ Help Xbox Fried itself

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by XboxNeedU, Feb 3, 2005.

1. XboxNeedU

XboxNeedU Member

One day when i went to plug in my xbox it started to make all these crackling nioses. I think some how it short circuited or something and i dont feel like sending it to kentucky.Does any one know how to fix my problem?

2. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Is the xbox modified? If you have opened it up and it shows, they may not accept it for repair. If you haven't modified or opened the case or damaged it due to neglect, I would call MS and see what they think it would cost.
    You can also buy a replacement MB or powersupply online.
    My guess, it's the motherboard or the powersupply.

3. XboxNeedU

XboxNeedU Member

they said they would fix it for 80 plus s.h. .And no i never opened it.but if i can fix it myself for cheaper i would like to.

4. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Does the xbox turn on?

I would try replacing the fuse first and if it is not that then it will most probably be the power supply which you can easily do yourself at a lower price than 80

5. XboxNeedU

XboxNeedU Member

No the xbox does not turn on at all just crACKLE and sometimes it will turn on for like 2 sec then die.

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

it maybe your powersupply, thats my guess, if you have NEVER opened your box then, thats what i think it would be. Check e-bay for XBox Power Supplies. It could be something else though

7. XboxNeedU

XboxNeedU Member

thats what im scared of SOMETHING else
    but thank for your help

8. jus2slo

jus2slo Member

i know of a couple of websites to get power supplies, curcuit boardsand just about eveything inside the xbox

9. 121flame

121flame Member

wait wait wait, dont go buying yet.

ive had this same problem, what i found when i opened my was the DVD power cable(the yellow one) was half in and half out somehow. when i put the cable back in correctly it worked just like brand new :)

look at the pins on the power supply they maybe be bent(lol).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  10. XboxNeedU

XboxNeedU Member

was it crakleing and did u smell something like a burning smell

11. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

121flame. If the power cable to the dvd drive was half in and half out, it woulndt cause the xbox not to boot. If that happend, the xbox would boot then give an error screen. Im not seeing it crackle or anything like that....

Just opened my xbox to verify...No crackling, and it booted to an error screen. Sounds like the powersupply to me. I assume you got your xbox within the first year or so that the xbox came out?

12. 121flame

121flame Member

acctaully i have an Xbox Crystal v1.6 phillips dvd drive samsung RAMetc, etc so no, its not a bull one because i bought it on the 1st decamber :) and it wasnt the power supply and i never got this so called ' error boot screen'. think i might look up on that one. and again, no it wasnt the power supply because the dvd plug(power, the yellow one) had acctully been built or molded incorrectly so i bought another power cable(the one i said that i put back in) and it worked just like new

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  13. 121flame

121flame Member

shdwsfall, i never said that my Xbox Didnt turn on did i??? but i do supose its my fault for not specifying the 'symtoms'. my xbox did acctually pack in eventually and thats when i decided to pull it apart :). + my did make the fucky crackling noises aswell, it is wierd though,

XboxNeedU, did yours make the crackling noises when it wasnot turned on. becaue mine didn't. if it did then i supose it is your PSU

14. BoxMods

BoxMods Regular member

It's a bad solder on the under side of your PSU where you plug it in. Just take a good amount of solder and cover the area. There's a certain version of power supply that does this alot. I've had to repair theses problems way too much.

15. punqewe

punqewe Active member

hehe I was scrolling down and was just about to say that till I got to your post. You beat me to it....hehe.

16. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

What version Xbox's have the most problems with the Power Supply????? I'm guessing the good ole 1.0 xbox's!!!!!!!!! I have just about dealt with everything in my xbox except the psu. If i were to replace it is there a certain way to handle it without frying myself. Just the other day I was removing the power/eject board to change the led lights on the board to red and white. I removed the yellow power cable from the mobo and was watching out for the power supply the whole time. I'm scared of that damn thing, don't want my fingers to accidently touch it. What a big baby huh!!!!!!lol

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  17. 121flame

121flame Member

i think thats my most feared thing in life lol.

you don't really won't to know how it feels to be electricuted do you?, im sure you don't and niether do i..

and i have never had to even touch the PSU as there have never been any fault to the complex region.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  18. XboxNeedU

XboxNeedU Member

My Xbox make that crackling niose no matter what if it is plugged in

19. truant

truant Member

Mine makes crackling noises too. It works fine, but it 'crackles'.

What do you guys suggest that I do?

20. truant

truant Member

I just bought mine btw.

Is this normal?