1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Point of backing up DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Feedback, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Feedback

Feedback Member

I hear talk on this site about backing up 50 or more commerical DVD,s that you own. On average it would cost about $1.25 for one DVD and about $62.00 for 50 DVD's. The odds of someone having to replace more than one or two DVD's is slim and even then it wouldn't be as good as the original. So, if you truly own these DVD's(and I am talking about commerical DVD's), what would be the point?
    Now after saying that I think I will give it a try, on the DVD's I own of course.

2. ispy

ispy Regular member

How about if you had a burglary and your entire collection was stolen ,including treasured movies unavailable now.Don,t you think it would be wise to have duplicates kept safe,also the way kids treat DVD,s it saves buying the same discs over and over again.
    ispy

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Don't forget the fun and challenge in making a good backup. Btw you can get quality media well under 50 cents a disc nowdays.

4. Feedback

Feedback Member

I can understand about the kids being rough on the DVD's but if you have kids where do you find the time to backup your whole DVD collection. I have a priceless LP collection that I've started to backup digitally but it became too time consuming so I stopped. I transferred a few but then I gave up on it. I haven't listen to some of them in over 20 years so I didn't see the point anymore. It is the same way with my DVD's. After I watch them they pretty much sit on the shelf. If you record a movie on DVD can you then erase over it with another movie?

5. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

If you use the -RW or +RW format these will allow you to burn over again and again, as they are re-writable format.

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but most of my movies get ripped to the computer before they ever get watched, particularly the ones my kids get. Since I rarely pay more than $6 for a movie, another $0.50 - $1 (depending on whether I split them) isn't a big deal. Even if I include the cost of software, I'd only have to add another $45 ($35 for RecordNow Max 4.5 and a $10 donation for DVD-RB). I don't count CCE Basic because I'd have bought it anyway to convert DV to DVD. I'm also lucky enough to work from home, allowing me a lot of time to work on my backups while I'm doing other things, so despite having 4 kids time isn't usually an issue for me.

7. pieman

pieman Regular member

What DO you see the point in?Everything in life needs EFFORT.Make the time to back up your vinyl...or stop whinging!!!!!!

8. gorangel

gorangel Guest

Vurbal where did you get movies for $6?

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I know somebody who manages a Hollywood Video, and he gets me deals on used rentals. I also get a lot of discs from Walmart and Half Price Books.

10. Feedback

Feedback Member

I used dvdshrink (movie only-no compression)and recordnow to burn a backup movie this weekend. The quality seem pretty good. Is dvdshrink a good program to use to achieve a good quality backup? Thanks for your responses.

Pieman , everything in life does take effort but you have to consider if the outcome is going to be worth the time and effort that you put into it. I will still backup my vinyl but only the ones I still like to hear and only on an as is basics. I have too many other things that take up my valuable time(family,my softball team, riding my motorcycles,playing my music etc.) but thanks for the advice!

11. pieman

pieman Regular member

Fair play.Maybe my life isnt full enough.Just the thought of all that lovely vinyl just WAITING to be backed up.Its enough to drive you mad.(or madder in my case!)

12. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Feedback...
    Yes shrink is a good program for backing up your DVDs. 1)It's free
    2)It's easy to use
    3)Good quality results
    4)Did I mention it's free?
    I also am part of the "I have kids" brigade and I personally feel that there's no way in he!! that they are taking my favorite movies into their room. So I burn a copy for them to use and if they screw it up, I'm out 50cents and not $20.
    Also try some time mangement when doing backups. Before you go to a ballgame set up shrink. By the time you get back it should be done and ready to burn. Start the burn and jump in the shower to clean all theat sweat from running the bases so many times after all those home runs. By the time you get out you have a complete backup done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  13. ricster

ricster Regular member

Kids are the ultimate testers. They can destroy a DVD in seconds. I made the mistake of not backing up a recent Thunderbirds disc as soon as I bought it. I tried the other night only to discover a large scratch across the surface. It will not play now. I've got others that are physically cracked across the centre. As for playback, my four-year old hasn't yet complained about the resolution. By the way, if you think that slot in your Sony cinema system can only take one disc...think again.

14. Feedback

Feedback Member

Zippyd, thanks for the tips on time management. I will give your suggestions a try.