1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polishing the sound recorded from audio tapes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by az0000000, May 23, 2007.

1. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Hello everyone,
    Finally I have decided to record all my audiotapes to mp3.
    My audiocassette recorder is quite good, it an LG thingy, nevertheless probably because some cassettes were recorded bad I hear kind of loud background noise on many of my recorded files. Please here an example clip here: http://moldova.worldcarp.org/forum_files/files_storage/short_time/stockyard/noise_sample.mp3
    It’s that typical hissing noise that a sound recorded from audiotape has almost all the time.
    I would like to ask what audio editing tool is good to use for fixing such problem, and for general sound processing and enhancement.
    I am on Sound Forge 7 now, but can’t seem to find any tool in there that could help me. May be I would need some plugin installed for it. If so, which one will do?
    Any advices appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Thank you for the tip.

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Use Dolby B noise reduction if the tapes were music cassettes from the record labels. Every label used Dolby B. Turning it off boosts the treble output; but that is because Dolby B compressed the low level treble in the first place, and the increased treble gain is actually intentional distortion. Decoding Dolby B brings the treble back to its original level and, at the same time, drops the tape hiss about 10 dB below its ordinary level.

5. az0000000

az0000000 Member

Thanks for reply Joe, but i don't think i have that option for use.