1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll Thread: Anaconda, Cobra or GCos, which bios is best?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by indienemo, Mar 15, 2005.

1. indienemo

indienemo Guest

God, and I thought we might see the new Cobra by the end of this month... Still hope I geuss, but theres been a bit of a black out of news lately

2. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I've been trying to block it out of my mind, otherwise I'll go crazy;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  3. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I really want it by Saturday, thats when my holidays start.. I want to go back home and show my little bro how good it is, not a bloody DRE after ten minutes gaming!

4. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I really want it by Saturday, thats when my holidays start.. I want to go back home and show my little bro how good it is, not a bloody DRE after ten minutes gaming!

5. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

hey nemo, did you try running PI/PO scans? After I did this, I discovered that my dvd burner (Sony DRU-710A) does not like Ridata Ritek G04's at all. The very first backup I made was paper mario on a memorex dvd-r prodisc and after about 3 or 4 hours of play I never had a problem with it. And when I scanned for errors on the prodisc they were very minimal.

I've since switched to memorex dvd+r G04 and they work perfect on my cube. My mario tennis used to dre every 5 minutes and now on my +R's I never get a dre. I can keep it paused as long as I want and play as many tournaments in a row as I want and I'll never get a dre.

I truly think that if you and anyone else having a lot of problems finds what media their burner likes the best from running tests on your burns, a lot of your problems will go away.

I'm sure bios is still an issue with dres but I now think that it's only about 5% or so of the problem. I was using ritek G04's blindly because everyone said they were the best, but it turns out my burner disagrees.

Edit: I can't scan my +R's for errors because my burner won't let me, but I'm positive that if I did, they would have even less errors than the prodisc.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  6. indienemo

indienemo Guest

[​IMG]

Theres a pic of my discs, are they alrite?

I get so many DRE's and as often as not they wont boot either

"Ritek G05, X8 DVD-R Printable"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
  7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Hey indienemo try these discs out whenever you get a chance alright man http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-372&depa=0 .These are the mini discs,but if you do use the full size discs try to use these discs alright http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-341&depa=0 .They both are Ridata discs,but they seem to work pretty good.I use the full size dvd-/+r discs all the time for my Xbox,and the Xbox drives are pretty picky also.Jdilla my friend showed me these discs awhile ago,and sure enough they work like a charm.I am not really sure about the mini media though,but I am positive the full size discs work like a charm.I also use these kind of media every once in awhile http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-131-887&depa=0 .I normally get these kind when I need to get discs before my actual shipment of media arrives.I use Dvd+R whenever I get a chance,it seems to work better for me.If you are trying to get the best brands then Sony or Verbatim are the best,but Ritek,Ridata,and Memorex are the more affordable media so I suggest them.If Ritek doesn't work real good,then you can always switch to see what works on your drive and definately try to see which brand it likes the best.I recommend everyone doing this,because the drives are alot different.In most cases the drives are real picky for some people,so can't really say if they will work perfect for you or not.I just recommend these,because these discs seem to work for me is all.

8. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

nemo, I'm not sure. I don't think I've ever seen those discs before. Seriously though, I'm almost positive now that most dres are from compatibility issues between your burner and media. For most dvd drives and PS2 and whatnot, PI/PO errors aren't an issue because they can handle burns that aren't the greatest, but as we all know, the cube is extremely picky. Therefore your best results will be finding the media your burner likes the best. Run some error tests with different medias you've burned. It'll help a lot.

l-burna's definitely right about +R's. They are much higher quality in general than the -R's. But some people don't have success with them because their burners don't burn +R's that well. But I still recommend you give them a try.

9. maddenart

maddenart Member

thats what I been saying.I used all types of media some worked ok and some did not work at all.then I tryed memorex DVD+R at 1x burn and all my backups work great no dres.

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Some guy I met on the internet sent me a bunch of games on burnt DVD's... they all work fine with no DRE's so is that media compatable? I think they are Ritek G04 Printables....

How do I find the media code / description for these DVD's?

How do I do a PI/PO scan?

11. Artlover

Artlover Member

I know, I wanted to run one of these tests too, but same problem. I've got like 5 different brands of DVD burners and NONE of them are supported. Actually, according to the most recent list, there are very few drive that are supported for this. :(

http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=70296&mpage=1&key=

12. Artlover

Artlover Member

DVDInfoPro.

It does the media code and PI/PO checks (assuming you're lucky enought to own a burner that supposed it - see that link in my previous responce over this one).

I would say that neroInfotool and also the advanced button of alcohol 120's drive/disc properties tab does too, but for some reason, they both suddently stopped working on my computer. Not sure why. Was working before I tried installing the latest version of DVDInfoPro (3.55). (I hate windows, but that's a rant for another thread!)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  13. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

14. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I don't know why that whole post came out in bold...oh well.

15. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I think we should start a seperate compatability thread where people try different combinations of burners and media and we can compare and do quick graphs on what the best media is and such like... who's with me?

16. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

sounds good to me. I'll get on it tonight cuz I don't have time this afternoon.