1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor burn speed after SATA HDD install

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Elsydian, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Elsydian

Elsydian Member

I recently installed my Sony DWD22A in a completely new system:

P4 3.0 530j
    ECS 915p-a
    1gb PC3200
    WDHD 120gb SATA

In my old system (P3 500, 2 IDE HDDs on primary, CDROM and DWD22A on secondary IDE) my DVDs would burn at 8x in about 5 minutes. Last night I backed up my first DVD on the new system and the times were drastically different. The encoding (DVDShrink 3.2) took 30 minutes, which is long considering there was no compression. The burning (Nero 6.?) however took 1 hour 18 minutes, which is just crazy.

I searched these forums for anything with "SATA" and got no results. When I get home from work I'll check the DVD burnre to make sure it is running DMA, but this issue seems more like a problem with the hard drive.

Any ideas?

2. Elsydian

Elsydian Member

something I forgot, the DWD22A burner is the only IDE device attached now. It is set to slave on IDE1 (only one IDE on this board).

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i would make it master if on its own! also have you checked your DMA settings?

4. Elsydian

Elsydian Member

I'll have to heck DMA settings when I get home. It's set to slave because I plan on adding a DVD or CD ROM soon. I didn't think that would make a difference though.

My main concern was that I have the SATA hard drive setup wrong since this is the first SATA HDD I've bought. But I have a feeling it will be the DMA setting.

Thanks

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

are you just useing a single sata drive? or 2x drives for mirror raid setup?

odd you only have 1 ide channel?

my 2x sata HD's are mirror raid and DMA 6

with sata dont you have 2 bios's? one as normal and a button to press on boot to set raid / sata up? i do!

6. Elsydian

Elsydian Member

Seems most people thought it was a bad thing this mobo has 1 IDE channel. Since I'll never have more than two optical drives, and probably never use all 4 SATA channels, I have no problem with it.

I currently only have 1 SATA HD. I haven't noticed any extra BIOS for the SATAs but I'll check for that as well when I get a chance.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

get yourself a nive sata dvdrw drive! thats will rip then!