1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port Forwarding on router - Security Question ...

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Sina, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Sina

Sina Member

Recently I set up port forwarding on my router (and a static IP address) so I could run Bitcomet.

Today, as I've been sitting at my computer - my ZoneAlarm firewall has been popping up messages that it is blocking (inbound) access to the TCP port that I'd set up for bitcomet ( the port which I'd instructed my router to route to). (note that, prior to today I've not been keeping ZoneAlarm loaded, but have just decided to do so today)

Bitcomet was NOT on at the time ... and were it not for the Zonealarm program, the access would have accessed that port on my computer. (For what it's worth, per WHOIS the attempt was made from an IP out of the country)

My question is about security when you’ve forwarded a port. I’m surprised that my router did not block that access.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something somewheres about Routers, port forwarding etc?

I thought I’d done everything fairly straight.

In assigning the static IP address to my computer ...
    In my computer's Network Configuration area for the TCP/IP properties set up (for my nic) ...
    On the “IP Address” tab .... I assigned it a new IP address ... and kept the Subnet mask as it had been ... pretty straightforward.
    On the Gateway tab I added my Routers IP address as the Gateway
    On the DNS tab, I added the host and domain name ... and instead of putting in the IP of my Inernet Providers DNS servers, I just pointed the DNS setting back to my Router’s IP Address (because my ISP changes Servers/DNS addresses periodically)

For the actual forwarding in the Router - I entered the port number (I’d set for bitcomet to work over) as the specified port for both the “private port” and the “public port” settings in the Router .... for both TCP and UDP.

Question: Can anyone spot anything specifically that I’ve missed or set incorrectly that would allow inbound access attempts from the internet to make it to my computer’s ports ... apparently sliding right past my router??

Question: Am I not understanding what happens when you port forward? (in other words, port forwarding shouldn't allow inbound access to come right through my router to my computer should it?)

Question: Is my current Port forwarding etc set-up a security risk??

Many thanx in advance for any help or ideas !!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

just follow instructions from portforward.com then set your zonealarm to make bitcomet as server in the programs control, no need to worry about that, its only when you make a mistake dwnloading a virus file that really matters

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

When you port forward (or place your machine in the DMZ) you bypass the router's firewall. That's the purpose of port forwarding. The difference is port forwarding is restricted to certain ports whereas DMZ bypasses the entire firewall. In such a state, your PC is allowed to accept incoming connections i.e. act as a server, whereas with the firewall fully running, only traffic responding to connection requests initiated by your PC were allowed in.

The traffic you are seeing is likely any torrents you've used responding to your previous requests or are checking on your status. Since your BT client isn't running, there's nothing there to answer them, so ZoneAlarm flags those packets as unwanted.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

5. Sina

Sina Member

Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate it!

I suspected that by port forwarding I must be bypassing the router for that port (that would make sense).

I'm still a bit uncertain as to how much of a security threat having forwarded that port is though, I will set bitcomet as server though so that I can run ZA while bitcomet is on.

I must admit, even though (as you mentioned) much of those access attempts are from my previous torrents, all that inbound knockin at my door makes me nervous anyway.
    If you've got any more input on how big of a threat bypassing the router for that one port is, I'd be very interested to hear it.

In any regard, Thanx again!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007