1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

port forwarding/static ip address?????

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jk7378, Feb 3, 2007.

1. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

hi all, can anyone tellme how i forward ports and make a static ip address? i am attempting to download torrents and im using azureus but its saying i have a nat problem which i have tried to solve to no success i am at my witts end! is there an EASY way to do this as im fairly new to all this. i have a laptop with a belkin routerand my isp is blueyonder.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

This is kinda the wrong forum for this; the origonal thread would return more replies I would think. Now, where are you getting hung up? I'll assume you got the info at ipconfig/all and it's at Network Connections in Control Panel. You will see several items there but only one is your internet connection and that's the one you need. Open one, click disable, close the window and try to browse. Go back and reenable that one and do this for each entry in Network Connections until you disable one that won't open any window to browse. That's the one you want, reenable it and click Properties and then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then Properties and untick "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns servers automatically" and tick "use this ip address" and "use the following dns server address" and enter the information you got at ipconfig/all and ok out and you're done with the static address. The only thing to watch for is if your dns servers have the the same address as Default Gateway at ipconfig/all and then you would either have to get them through your router or ISP first. I also agree about utorrent, much more newbie friendly.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

From ĀµTorrent's site:

Setting up a static IP

Routers work by attributing a "dynamic IP" to each computer when it connects to the router. Since this IP is dynamic it can, and often does change each time. The router selects which IP to attribute from a list of available IPs called the DHCP range. This range is expressed as either: Starting IP / ending IP, or Starting IP and number of IPs. (192.154.10.1 to 192.154.10.100 or 192.154.10.1 with 100 IPs available). In order to setup a static IP for your computer it is important to select one outside of this range in order to avoid it being attributed to another computer by the router. Finding out what the DHCP range can be hard work since I have no router specific instructions to direct you to the correct menu. You'll have to find it on your own (you may refer to your router's manual for more information).

To enter the router configuration screens : Windows Start button > Run, type "cmd /k; ipconfig /all" WITHOUT the quotes.

1. From the DOS window that will open, copy the default gateway number to your web browser and hit enter.
    2. In the login window enter your username / password (if you have not set one try: admin/admin admin/blank blank/admin or even blank/blank)
    3. Navigate the menus and screens until you find the DHCP range.
    4. Since many routers have limits on the number of IPs they can handle (regardless of the number of computers connected). Reduce the DHCP range by one. (Reduce the ending IP by one or reduce the number of IP by one). Make a note of the newly available IP (which is outside the range); this is what you will use for a static IP further.
    5. Exit the router configuration and follow the instructions at the Portforward Static IP Guide to setup your operating system to use a static ip.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

5. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

thankyou for replying i will try and figure it out. its all very daunting trying to set up static ip address but i think this is what is holding me up. ive installed u torrent and selected port 64068 and in windows firewall ive allowed it as an exception is this right? its only the static ip i am striggling with as im not really pc literate! i need an "idiots guide to setting up a static ip address" ha.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Yes, that's right but you will still have to forwatrd that port to your static ip address within your router. A few settings within utorrent are options>preferences>connection, disable UPnP port mapping and set port and at options>preferences>bittorrent, enable protocol encryption and allow incoming legacy connections. If you use private sites, both DHT references will need to be disabled.

7. jk7378

jk7378 Guest

thanks i think i set up u torrent ok when u say private sites what do u mean? eg pirate bay? i tried to downlad a torrent before and my download speed was only between 12 and 27 kbs. thats no good is it? i know it must be the port is not forwarded and static ip address isnt set up. i been on port forward.com and went into my router(belkin) went through all the process but it didnt work! i am really really frustrated and fed up i feel like giving up on torrents.. desperation!

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No, Pirate Bay is public, by private I mean sites where you have to register to enter. Speeds can be low for multiple reasons; low seed to peer ratio, ISP blocking to name a couple but for the best speeds, you have to forward your router. You may get away with a dynamic ip address, I did for 2 years but it started changing on a weekly basis. Go to ipconfig/all and make a note of your ip address, exit and shut down your computer for 5 minutes. When you restart your computer, recheck your ip address again and if your router hasn't selected a new ip address, you can stay with a dynamic address but make a note of lease obtained or something like that because I assume your ip address will change on that date, not sure though.

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member