1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port Fowrwadring Belkin F5D9630-4

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Declan00, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Declan00

Declan00 Member

i currently got a new laptop with vista and also purchased a Belkin F5D9630-4 I've been to 'PortForwarding.com' and found their guide. I've followed it step by step but still i get a really bad connection rate.

I've allowed it through the windows firewall both the ports and the application still no luck. is there anything i could be missing?

all help will be much appreciated

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Which bittorrent client are you using?

Have you tested the port you are using in that client to see if it is showing cleared? If so, result?

3. Declan00

Declan00 Member

I'm using UTorrent at the moment, when i use the 'Test if port is forwarded properly' it always comes back error. I've tried changing the port and re-doing all what the port forwarding web site suggests but still no luck.

any ideas?

4. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Since you have manually forwarded your port, make sure the options at Options/Preferences/Connection
    of Randomize port each time uTorrent starts and Enable UPnP port mapping (as well as NAT-PMP) are not enabled.

What other security software do you have installed besides the Vista firewall?

5. Declan00

Declan00 Member

the computer did come with some sort of norton software but i hate all norton software so i uninstalled it.

6. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Were those 2 options disabled before this?
    So you only have the firewall, no anti-virus or anti-spyware apps?

Are you using the latest version of uTorrent?
    Do you have a modem? If so, make and model?

7. Declan00

Declan00 Member

i use my Belkin F5D9630-4 ADSL router, i have NOD32 anti-Virus erm....i'm not sure about them options i'll need to check once i get back home.

is there any other software that comes with Vista that might stop me doing this.....also could it be my ISP? i'm with Tiscali but on my previous PC which just had XP Pro it worked fine?

thanks for all your help btw

8. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

In NOD32, there needs to be an exception for uTorrent.

I don't know which version of NOD you are using, this post has links for info on versions 2.7x and 3.x:
    http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992#p258231

Although the Tiscali issues below are prob not causing the port being closed, you should still be aware that they can affect your speeds, even when your port is opened.

Tiscali was ordered by a Belgian court, in June, 2007, to implement P2P filters within 6 months and I have noticed quite a few people having problems with them lately.
    You should go to Options/Preferences/BitTorrent under Protocol Encryption and enable outgoing encryption and allow incoming legacy connections.

Also Tiscali has a Fair Use Policy which can limit your bandwidth during peak hours (6PM-11PM monday to sunday).

No problem on the help, that is the good thing about bittorrent, the more well setup users the better.
    I just hope this actually helps you.

9. Declan00

Declan00 Member

just one more question, i've been told to download and use an application called Peer Guardian 2...is it worth getting, or is there something else better out there?

cheers :D

10. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

PeerGuardian 2 should be used.
    You would have to use the beta as you have Vista.

http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/showt...6d9bef81235661f5811e7&t=14168&highlight=vista

Edit: When testing your port within uTorrent, you will have to disable PeerGuardian as uTorrent (because of their purchase by BitTorrent) IP is included in the blocklist.

This will not cause a problem with uTorrent otherwise.

Personally, I think the inclusion of uTorrent, and BitTorrent was an over-reaction to BitTorrent's affiliation with media companies.
    I am surprised that after all this time, and no ill effects on BitTorrent/uTorrent users that this block is still in effect, but it is.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  11. Declan00

Declan00 Member

right i have done as you have instructed but for some reason it still comes up at error for open port. the speeds have increased quite a lot but i never get the green tick at the bottom just the amber warning triangle.

I'm getting speeds of 80kbps now where as i was lucky to get 20kbps so thanks for the increase in speed

thanks for all the help :D

12. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

All I can suggest is try to narrow down what is causing the block.

I would say to disable your firewall and anti-virus and see if you get a green network status.
    If you don't, then probably the router is the issue.
    If you do, then try enabling the firewall and see if you still get green.
    If you don't then the firewall is the issue.
    if you do,then the anti-virus is the issue.