1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem portable hard drive not recognized on computer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kookie56, Dec 4, 2016.

1. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I have a 2TB Toshiba portable hard drive. It has my movies (avi, mkv, mp4, etc.).
    When I plug the portable hard drive into my DVD player, ( I have two that play off of the portable hard drive), it is recognized and plays.
    But, when I plug the portable hard drive into my computer and try to access it, to add more, a box opens that says it is "not accessible". " Access denied".
    It was fine yesterday.
    How can I get access to the portable hard drive so I can either put shows on another hard drive, or add, or delete my shows?
    Can anyone help? I would appreciate any help.
    Thank you.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the drive is good being it plays ok thru the dvd player so not a hardware issue. what windows & was there a windows update done in between the drive worked & not worked? have you tried a system restore to before this problem started?

3. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

There was no upgrade or anything else done to computer. I also tried to access the drive on my laptop. They both have different windows os. The desktop has windows 7 and the laptop has the newest windows 10. Does this information help you?
    I also want to thank you for answering.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

5. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I appreciate your help, but have fixed the problem. It seems I had to become the "owner". I don't know how it was that I suddenly wasn't the owner.
    Again, I want to thank you for your help.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Using two operating systems most probably is why.I've had similar popups when i wanted to make changes to files etc,it's a pain in the ass.There is a download you can get that you can install that places a "take ownership" in the right click menu of windows.It comes in handy when you get that bs,as it bypasses the need to use properties to reassign permissions when you've set up a drive on one version of windows then attempted to make changes on another.Unless there was something the dvd player did

Mez likes this.
  7. sireast

sireast Member

on the same note, I have a similar problems, the external HD is causing errors with win-xp. it is not recognizing the ext HD. The ext. HD is western digital, but ok with win-7 and win-10 OS.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  8. ddp

never heard of win win-xp nor win win-7.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

10. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I am having the same problem again. Now, when I right click on the hard drive and click "properties"...then "security" there is no "owner" to click on. I have a new computer that runs windows 10. HELP. Please.
    Thank you

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

options as i see it & is what i have done,tho my scenario was different

You need to take ownership.However using the properties of the drive is asking for trouble as far as i'm concerned,been there will never do it again.

Without the drive in question in front of me i'm going to assume the worst & you've stuffed up the permissions by playing with the properties previously,reason i say this is i recall there's a sub set of permissions that require ownership & this is where things for me turned to custard & f'd up the whole OS & and an external

However before i get there & assuming you can actually get the drive open & see files but can't do anything.Then installing xdnteaker (requires .NET) is your best bet & safest & fastest.Use the first files & folders option in left column & enable "take ownership",now reboot.Open drive & get right clicking "take ownership",if it's not possible to move all files into a single folder because it won't let you,linux might,however you can RC & select a few files at a time to "take ownership" if all goes well sweet as ! if not....

WARNING: i accept no responsibility for any loss of files/data,you should already have backups of all files..i only say that as your connecting both drives to the one machine,if possible although slower it would most likely be safer to use two computers & use sharing/ftp in binary mode with filezilla (unless there's a faster method) by wire & not wifi

If everything is f'd up as it was for me one of the options as drastic as it maybe is to use linux & transfer all files to a single folder created on another spare external drive,preferably an external that's freshly reformatted with linux (one file should be enough for testing purposes at first before transferring the rest) So dismount both drives & remove usb cables.reboot back to windows connect the newly reformatted external with the recently transferred file,you should have access,however this is now where i would use take ownership on the single file/folder .The drive if it's ok & ownership is now yours it can now be dismounted/safe removal. Boot back to linux & transfer the remainder,once completed dismount drives again only this time reboot back to windows & connect the offending external & delete it & create a new setup & then reconnect the other external & transfer files back while under windows. "DO NOT CONNECT THE BACKUP EXTERNAL TO THAT DVD PLAYER"

actually after creating the new setup on your offending external do a full disc check for sector errors without any files in the drive

It may be necessary to assign a drive letter to the external that is your backup when you first reconnect it to windows.

If ownership in the first instance or the second works,you may find that under win 7 you have no access again since it's a different OS,this issue is solved easily using xdnteaker in win 7 to retake ownership,by rights both win 7 & 10 will now play nice

that's all i got

edit: it maybe possible to take ownership of the root of the drive directly (root = from as you see it in my pc & not opening it,this should give permission for the drive & it's contents not just the content itself) by using powershell assuming there's a command to make it do what's required

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  12. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I can not access the files on this hard drive. It now registers as "Local Disk (F:) and won't allow me to open it.
    But when I look in "device manager", I can see "Toshiba External USB 3.0 USB Device" listed in "disk drives.
    When I right click on it, click properties, then events, under description, it says "device migrated".. "device configured (disk.inf)" and "device started (disk).
    I can't seem to do anything with it now. Can you help?

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

under disk management is it showing basic disc or dynamic.If basic only other thing is to remove drive & install into computer bypassing the housing,if however it is dynamic i cannot help other than attempting cloning or use linux lite or puppy to attempt to access it

suggest a check for errors with drive checking software if the checking software cannot access it then it maybe a hardware issue with the drive itself,all this requires the drive be removed from housing for elimination purposes & placed as a slave in the pc,if the pc stalls when it is a slave your hdd is shot electrically so is either its mainboard or head seek are faulty,so long as disc registered as a basic disc

its late i have to go

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  14. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

It is listed as basic

15. ddp

merry Christmas scorp.

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

merry xmas ddp

see if the portable player can still access it,if so & it plays movies then you can ignore faulty hdd comment your going to have to tell me what actions you have taken to try to get in to it in windows.reason player can access it is because it uses linux,all devices do including cars & house hold appliances