1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible bad laser, bad key insert , or bad disc

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Jagubear, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Jagubear

Jagubear Member

A few days ago, with some help here on AD, i got a replacement hitachi 47 drive replaced with another drive, same model and revision. The new drive in the 360 now is a mix of the laser and logic board of a new drive, and all other parts from the old drive. This was necessary since the new drive ended up being on of those that scratches discs.

Since then the drive works... kind of, it no longer scratches. It can read certain backups and originals without a problem but not others. Some give dirty disc errors (even though some are not), while others give the "to play this disc put it in an xbox 360 console" message. Others load until a certain point then give the dirty disc error. The second message only seems to appear on backups. Backups have been burned with verbatim discs.

After looking around and trying to figure things out, I am completely lost and confused on what to do. I have tried reinserting the key into a stock orig.bin file, the orig.bin from the new drive, and flashing with a few different firmwares without result.

From what I can gather it could be a bad image used to burn to games, or bad key insertion, or the laser could be bad. Before I spend more money on a new drive to get this fixed if anyone could help me determine what is actually the problem it would be much appreciated. I'm leaning to the bad laser conclusion since with all the scratching, the discs couldn't have been the only things damaged.

thanks

2. modman123

modman123 Member

I seem to have this exact same problem.

Most of them seem to be EA games.

3. Jagubear

Jagubear Member

ideas? anyone?

4. dsdavis6

dsdavis6 Regular member

i had two ea games that didnt work on my xbox... the comments on the source website didnt give me the impression anyone else had the problem. i was intending to rent them and see if they worked... my xbox went wrong and i have now replaced it so unfortuneatly i didnt get to try that. Does the ea theory add up with u jag.?

btw its almost cetainly not bad key. no games would read

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

The board isn't the problem. It's the laser. Did you replace just the laser or did you leave the laser on the tray and replace the whole tray?

The rails which the laser slide on are adjustable up and down. You adjust them by rotating the black screws, which are circled in the first pic. If you just removed the laser that means you removed those screws so you could remove the rails. When you reassembled it you may not have realigned the rails like they were before. So I'd start there. And be patient with it. The smallest movement makes a big difference.

If that doesn't help, then you can adjust the POT on the laser, circled in the second pic. You can see there are 2 POTs. One is for cd and the other for dvd. The dvd is the one you want to adjust. You want to lower the resistance of the POT. You will need a multimeter to adjust it. DO NOT ADJUST IT WITHOUT ONE. Just the smallest movement will make a big difference. If you try to adjust it without a multimeter you can fry your laser.

There are guides on line for adjusting it. Google is your friend. I think I saw one on teamunderdawg's site awhile back. They make the NME.

The pics are of a Samsung drive, but it's the same setup for the Hitachi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jagubear

Jagubear Member

wow bhetrick, thanks for the detailed response, pics and everything. it did end up being the rails, took like a hour but it worked. thanks a bunch for the help.

7. wabashman

wabashman Active member

hate to bring up an old topic, but i have the same problem, just replaced the laser as my other thread states. main question here is to Jagubear, by chance if you remember, how do you currently have the two back screwes placed. are the three prongs all the way down, all the way up, or somewhere inbetween?
    thanks

8. szabek

szabek Member

i am having the same problem, i switched my old laser with a new one but now i get the open tray. i am trying to align the laser but i dont know where it was those 2 black screws. Please help!!!

9. yzrider22

yzrider22 Regular member

Do you guys think that the rails could be wroung on a new 360?I am having the same problem as described.And I am positive my disk are good,Like the post above, some will play to a certain point then freeze up with the dirty disk error.Everyone of my bakups worked in my samsung drive but only a certain few in my hitachi.All my disk are verbatim burnt either at 2.4 and recently 4x,keron ripped also.

10. shammy80

shammy80 Member

I have replaced the lens on my Samsung drive because of the "to play this disc put it in an xbox 360 console" message. After replacing my lens and booting up my XBox, will say "reading disc" and will then give me the "open tray" message. While the 360 is trying to read the disc I can hear a noise inside the drive that goes click then click again. About 2 seconds will go by and then the click,click noise repeats again.

This noise is being caused by the motor that moves the lens up and down the glide bars. The motor will move the lens to the very bottom and when it runs out of room to move that when the clicking noise starts. I have tried to adjust the glide bars up and down by the screws that hold them into place, but that didnt work.

Out of curiosity I put my old lens back into the 360 and it is now doing the same thing (clicking, open tray etc..). So that tells me that I'm missing something or doing something wrong. It can't be the POT because both lenses are doing it now.

Does anyone have a video tutorial so that I can see exactly what I'm doing wrong? Or a written tutorial will work also.

11. smileyjim

smileyjim Regular member

my hitachi has just started to fail reading backups, it reads originals ok but not my backups anymore.
    Obviously i think the laser is on its way out and wondered if altering the pot could give me more luck, or wether i should just buy a new lens and replace it.
    Could anyone advise me on what they would do please?