1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

possible Disk Read Error... HELP!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by tcichosz, Feb 2, 2003.

1. tcichosz

tcichosz Member

Ok, whats up everyone? here is the storyline of my PS2:
    about 7 months ago - bought neo 4.5 mod chip tried to install it but ended up breaking my ps2
    about 6 months ago - fixed my ps2 by taking out the neo 4.5 mod and cleaning up some solder i left on a chip in the PS2. Got the ps2 working perfect again.
    about 2 months ago - sent my ps2 in to get an apple mod chip installed. Guy there told me my ps2 wasn't reading disks. I was shocked. My ps2 always read disks.
    I told him to install it anyways and he said he could try to clean the lens and stuff to get it to work better. It was all good.
    about 1 month ago - The ps2 arrived. CD games worked but the console had to be restarted like 3 times b4 playing each game. DVDs are hard to get working, but after about 5-10 restarts of the console, they work.
    Now It's the same thing but games are starting to freeze up more and more! Tonight I just cleaned the laser of my PS2 and put some grease on the 2 rods that the laser slides across, but I still have the same problem.
    Another thing: I dont know if this is a disk read error, because the ps2 never says, "Disk read error," it eather keeps going back to browser when i try to play a game, or just goes to the DVD movie program and says, "Unable to read disk."

Does anyone have any suggestions? Comments? Help would bÁ×7¸eatly appreciated!

THANKS!

2. xgamz

xgamz Member

This will fix 99% of all disk read errors and unable to read disk errors. You're going to be surprised when you find out how easy this is. Read the instructions all the way through before you attempt the repair just so you'll be familiar with the entire process. First take off the outer cover of you PS2. If you haven't done this before, you will have to remove all the screw covers from the bottom of the unit, both plastic and rubber, these will be the only screws you will have to remove in order to take off the outer cover.

To remove the outer cover, lift up from the rear of the unit and pull towards the front in order to clear the controller jacks and the eject/close buttons. As you remove the outer cover you will notice a small metallic ribbon cable inside the machine leading to the eject/close and reset buttons on the front of the unit, this cable is usually taped to the top of the disc tray. This cable is not a sensitive as it appears; just remove the tape holding the ribbon cable. Once the outer cover is off you need to remove the cover to the disc tray, this will require a rather small phillips screwdriver (I've seen a few that use a standard slotted screw). Now that the tray cover is off, the first thing to do is to clean the laser eye. All you will need is a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol. Just swab the eye a few times and allow it to dry on its own, making sure that no lint was left behind from the Q-Tip.

After the cover is off of the disk tray and the laser has been cleaned you will need to plug the unit back in, (The unit needs to be hooked up to a TV as well to test it while you have it open. You should have a DVD, a game disk with a silver or gold back and one with a purple back in order to fine tune the system to play all three.) It will be necessary to have the unit powered up to perform the repair. Press the eject button so that the tray slides forward exposing the undercarriage. At the back of the unit you should see a small white, geared wheel about the size of a quarter. This little bastard is the cause of all your problems.

This wheel changes the angle in which the disk is held. You will notice that there is a small metal tab that holds the wheel in place. Take a felt-tip marker and mark the point on the wheel that meets the tab. That way you will always know the original position that the wheel was in. Now that the orig. position has been marked, feel free to spin the wheel for a few full rotations in order to see how it changes the angle. It will only alter the angle a few degrees before it goes back to zero, after it reaches the maximum angle it will go back to flat after each full rotation. Once you've toyed with it to see how it works, put the wheel back to the original position that you have marked. Then advance the wheel about 1/8 of a turn and place the disk tray cover back on top of the disk tray. (You will not need to screw the tray cover back down in order to test the machine; you will only need to hold down the cover with your fingers while trying to load/test a disk) Now place a DVD in the tray and press the eject/close button in order to close the tray and load the DVD (hold down the cover as explained above). Wait to see if the DVD loads, you may have to use the browser in order to load each disk you test. If the DVD loads, eject it and load a silver backed disk, if that loads try a purple backed disk. If all three loaded successfully, congratulations you're finished. If not, remove the tray cover, eject the disk and advance the wheel another 1/8 turn and repeat the process. It just a matter of finding an angle that will facilitate the operation of all three types of disks. Once you've found the proper angle and the system is operating to its full potential, close it up and let'er rip. I also do not recommend placing the PS2 on its side once you have fixed it. Although Sony says they recommend it in the owner manual, I have since seen internal Sony documents retracting the statement and attributing many malfunctions to storing and operating the unit on its side. Keep it flat at all times.

Let me know how it goes or if you are having any problems with the instructions. I have fixed dozens of units with "Disk Read Error" and this has always done the trick

3. Docta

Docta Member

Hey xgamz, what'll happen if you keep the PS2 on it's side? i have a verticle stand and my PS2 has been on it since i got it ( the day it came out ). Since you told me that i'm afraid something will happen, what'll happen if i leave it on it's side?????

Oh tcichosz, if what xgamez has told you doesn't work it quite possibly might be that the laser lense has a scratch on it ( that happened to my friends console ) and you'll have to return it to SONY ENTERTAINMENT AMERICA INC. because there is a warrenty on the Sony console, though i don't know how long the warrenty is valid for. BUT i have a slight feeling, well i have a STRONG-AS-HELL feeling, that you got a mod chip installed the normal way, which is the only way i know but the warrenty sticker on the back of your console must've been removed in order to install the mod-chip so that means the only way to get it fixed is to take it to some sony fixing shop or something and get the lense replaced which shouldn't cost too much.

4. xgamz

xgamz Member

When storing the unit on it's side you run the risk of permanently altering the trays magnetic alignment. You may never encounter a problem with storing it on it's side, I've just had access to a few Sony documents that stated they have seen where storing it vertically can create problems.

5. flight

flight Member

I did a v4 with gap here is whats going with it any help would be great

The ps4 w/gap
    does play-cdr-bu
    does play-orginal dvd rom games and movies

does not play dvd-r(i have got devil my cry on imation media to work once, aslo twisted medal black worked once is well. I can't get them to work again.

Could this be the laser i am sarting to lean towards that as the problem?

couldn't it be the ground or 5vt leads are not connecting well or a data lead did not wet properly?

I hoping for my freinds sake its not the laser.

6. Xithan

Xithan Member

Question to xgamz or anyone else that knows how to fix my problem. I used xgamz's excellent instructions to fix my PS2 and I got all the discs working, only problem is whenever I restart the dran thing, the white disc twists back to its original position where 3 out of the 4 discs are disc read errors. Anyone know how to disable the auto align so i can position the wite disc and make it stay where I want it?