1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible problem with DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BigChief1, Sep 7, 2004.

1. BigChief1

BigChief1 Member

Hey everybody,

I am not a newbie at backing up dvds by far but I am running into a strange problem. First I will say to all those DVDXcopy fans to hang it up. I am now going through my library of backups and getting rid of any movie I backed up with Xcopy and doing it over with Shrink. My problem is that over the weekend I went back and watched two of my backup movies and they started to skip and act crazy. Its funny because I played them about a month ago and they played fine. Now they don't play good on any dvd player. I watch them and they play good about half way through and then start to skip. I take them out of the player and wipe the disc with windex and stick it back in and it seems to skip worst. Is using Windex wrong/is it messing the tracks up? Am I not letting it dry enough. One of the movies I used Xcopy and the other I used Shrink. I also use Ritek DVD-Rs. My second question is: does the Ritek disc erode or playback decay after awhile? Thanks afterdawn fam.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Lol! Great advice.

Ritek is generally a very stable and long lasting media. I say generally because there have been fakes popping up as well as Grade B Ritek passed off as Grade A by scumbag retailers.

There's the possibility that the burns weren't the best due to an out of date firmware on the drive that wasn't optimized for that particular media.

As for cleaning the discs I wouldn't use Windex anymore. It's great for glass but not DVDs. A soft cloth and 99% Isopropyl is the best.

3. neney1

neney1 Member

I had the same problem with my DVD player and Back up discs but my DVD player would play proper copys and all I did was get one of those laser lens cleaners for my DVd player and Sorted.

I think its because when you copy a disc it doesn't ingrain on the disc as a proper bought disc would have been and the DVD player becomes more sensitive at playing them. I might be talking a load of bull but it worked for me!!!

4. BigChief1

BigChief1 Member

My Isopropyl says 50% on the bottle. Can I get 99% in the store?

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd call around to drug stores and electronics shops for the 99%. I don't think it makes a whole heck of a lot of difference as long as the inactive ingredient is water :)

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Huuuuumm, I thought that's what I said, Lol)

8. bigfoot30

bigfoot30 Member

Would VO and water work?,,,, foflmao

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep, it would work for me - (Lol)

10. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

For best DVD cleaning, use the solution made for cleaning eyeglasses. Very effective and safe. Available in dropper bottle or spray bottle, then wipe with soft cloth of the type for wiping camera lenses. Or, can get individually wrapped wipes for cleaning eyeglasses.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Good point StanH1000, I think I'll make a "Sticky" of that one, Thank you -

Pete