1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible to make back-up PS2 game not requiring mod-chip?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by BlkPnthr, Jun 25, 2003.

1. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Is it possible to make a back-up of my PS2 games and NOT need a mod-chip to play them? I don't have a huge library but, want to protect what I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thx

2. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Please read my signature below for the link to my tutorial for other options. Please read them carefully you will find answers there.

3. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I had read your tutorial. Very informative. Most of the applications either require a Mod-chip or "cards" which I am unfamiliar with. I did do a search and it came up blank for the info I inputted. There has to be a way to make a 1:1 for PS2. If someone could explain to me why you require a mod-chip, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

4. e3e4520

e3e4520 Member

Just like the PS1, part of the PS2 disk contains regional data (much like a DVD) that tells the machine which region that particular game comes from. However, that region cannot be read from consumer CD/DVD-ROM and CD/DVD-Rs. Therefore a chip is needed for the machine to bypass that stage and start the game. It is not impossible to make a 1:1 copy of a game but you will need the specific CD/DVD-Writer to do it, and as far as I understand, we can't purchase it.

Hope that answered your question.

5. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Yes, that did answer my question...and I thank you for that. I just would have thought that with today's technology and software/hardware being what it was, we'd be able to bypass it...such as 321Studio's ability to bypass encryption, be able to "outsmart" the copy-protection on CD games (however, I do understand your statement so, obviously other factors need to be taken in to account).

Have a good one.!!