1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible way to retrieve info from coaster dvd without a backup

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by restart, Jan 16, 2005.

1. restart

restart Member

I recently copied some dvds for later viewing. By the time I viewed the movies a week later, I found that the vobs were corrupted. Dvd Decrypter would unsuccessfully try to read until an error was posted. Remembering something I had read previously that high disc rotation sometimes caused a distortion in the disc, I placed the disk into the freezer and allowed it to freeze for about 5 to 10 minutes. I then placed the disc into the player. With a number successive freezing I was able to retrieve the vobs and create a new disc. Hope this may help people retrieve some of their data.

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I mentioned here that putting it in the refrigerator might help in reading "unreadable" DVDs, but freezer???! Unless you plan on tossing that disc after you retrieve your data, it is a bad idea.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I've never even heard of refrigerating or freezing discs that are unreadable. This really works? When you say "unreadable" do you mean scratched, corrupted files, both? Media rot? This would be great to know since I run into screwed up discs sometimes. I assume that if it works for DVD's it will work for CD's too? I've heard of toothpaste working for scratched discs. I have a friend that details cars and he uses buffing compound and takes a buffer to them.

4. restart

restart Member

The discs were useless to begin with. They wouldn't play on a dvd players or any of my 3 dvd roms and writers. Being useless I tried to at least retrieve my data since I had no backup. It does work. I've retrieved data from about 4 discs. It does not necessarily work on the first try. I had to retrieve the data 1 vob at a time. Some vobs were stubborn and took about 4 or 5 freezes. I would put DVD Decrypter in pause mode and then freeze the disc. I placed the disc into the writer and proceeded until I retrieved all the data. I would pause everytime I hit a read error and place the dvd into freezer as I described.
    It works so that means the data that was written to the disc was is still there. By the way the discs had no scratches on them. I thought it had bad spots on the disk meaning information was missing but it seems to be untrue. The data is there but unreadable by the rom or dvd players. The cold might have shrunk the metal layer making them more readable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  5. restart

restart Member

By the way I forgot to tell you the second copy of the dvd was a perfect copy of the unplayable disc

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  6. bigwop

bigwop Regular member

Jeez, I hope it works on the CMC mag disks that I have burned before I knew any better. With all the read errors I have, I may lose a freezer full of food with all the opening and closing of the door. May burn out the light, too!!!

7. restart

restart Member

Hopefully it will work for you. I can't guarantee that it will work with scratched disks. But these disks were not scratched. The players were unable to read them and dvd decrypter only gave me errors. The Dvd decrypter and the freezer are the only tools you need. Don't forget to wipe off the condensation before you place it in the dvd rom. As far as destroying the disk. I haven't destroyed any but I really don't need coasters.

8. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

I had the same problem copying copies. Your suggestion of putting the DVD in the freezer did work. Thank you very much for the suggestion. Incedentally. It was those damn DVD labels that ruined my discs. I have about 30 I have to copy. The remaining 150 or so are ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2005