1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Calibration Area Full error, still need help.

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ecko123, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ecko123

ecko123 Member

Ok, I have tried almost everything. I have a BenQ 1620 OEM Dvd-rw in an Usb enclosure and I can burn files ok, however whenever I try to burn dvd Iso image files I always recieve the error. The burner is new and I have searched quite a bit around the forums. I had made sure it was set to DMA mode, turned off the IMAPI, set the buffer level at 20-30mb. I use TDK DVD-R 8x discs and set the speed at 2.4x which is the slowests. Also, I've tried using Nero 6.6, Dvd decrypter and Alcohol 120% and all give me that error. The test modes are fine, but when i do the actual burning it doesn't start because of the error. So there's really no other way I can find that might fix it. Sorry, if I'm a newb to this forum, but I hope some1 can help. Thanks.

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

3. ecko123

ecko123 Member

yea I had already read that post, however I doubt it's an issue with the media nor firmware. thanks for your help, hope some1 else can help me solve this issue.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

So what happens when you try different media? Have you tried a DVD-RW? You need to eliminate media as a possibility as that is more than likely the cause.
    Your burner does a multi-step power calibration test before the burn. These are test burns to set the correct laser power and are performed in the PCA. This OPC test is initiated by your DVD burning program and is a required part of the DVD Specification. It is not required to burn data discs.

If you have the burner connected to a usb port then you can't really set it to DMA. DMA/PIO modes are characteristics of the IDE/ATA ATAPI busses. A USB 2.0 connection is usable, bear in mind that your burner is powered through this connection so make sure your enclosure and cable are connected properly.

Setting the buffer level or burn speed will not have an effect on this error.

Why do you think that firmware is not an issue? The firmware, among other things, contains a "list" of different media that the burner manufacturer has tested and set the correct initial power levels for. If your media is not on that list then a default power level may be used after setting the correct power requirements through the use of the OPC, exactly where you are having problems.

Checking for a firmware update, regardless of how new the burner is and trying different media are easy and logical first steps to solving this.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Heehee, how is [bold]Skynet[/bold]?

I see she is still growing, ready for global domination yet?, let me know first so I can hide................

Yes, try the media first, safest way first, then look for a firmware update aswell.
    I can concurr to what skyne, I mean fasfrank has stated (in nice detail aswell, something for me to copy and paste in my notes).

6. ecko123

ecko123 Member

yes, frank i had tried to find any possible fireware updates and there aren't any. second, there is no way it can be a media issue because they are tdk's which i have burned plenty files with. my main problem is getting dvd iso files to burn. i had aleady read posts about updating firmwares and bad media. so if some1 else can provide me with another solution it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  7. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Don't be so quick to dismiss the media as being a problem. Even though you've burned the TDKs successfully before , you still could have a bad disc or two.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Trying a different brand of media is just an easy step and you may be surprised that it actually does make a difference. Nothing even comes close to testing DVD media like burning multi-gigabyte files in a extraordinarily precise manner in just a few minutes. Lesser media fails very often and is the number one reason for failed burns.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  9. acets

acets Member

I have read the whole thread mentioned earlier, and I have not been able to fix this problem; I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-720A with the most upgraded firmware and whenever I try to burn anything (music, ISO/IMG files, data) on cd-r or dvd-r's it always comes up with errors. Most of the time they are Power Calibration Area errors, but there have been some random ones as well. I have 2 different types of media: Verbatim DVD+R 16x and some really crappy KHypermedia DVD+R 1-2.4x. At first I never had a problem with burning anything, then out of nowhere, it seems, they just stopped working properly. I use both Nero 6.6 and DVD Decrypter and I noticed the problem was occuring in Nero more often than with DVD Decrypter, so I started using that instead and now it gives me the same type of errors. Funny thing is, the crappy KHYPERMEDIA dvd+r's seem to work fine- problem is they are slow. I am thinking about a fresh format... but anything to avoid that since my last one was less than a couple months ago.

10. tony_2005

tony_2005 Guest

Well I had the exact same problem. I used the same media, burning almost 100 flawless backups and suddenly started getting the calibration error. I tested 2 other brands of media and the error has gone. Try a different brand of media.

11. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  12. acets

acets Member

Well I bought some SONY 1-8X DVD+R's and tried them out (figured a Sony Burner will be compatible with its own media) and they don't work either. Perhaps there is something wrong with the drive? Or maybe my power supply? I'm thinking it's not the media at all and more of a hardware issue.

13. ecko123

ecko123 Member

yes finally more people on this matter. I'm surprised pple started to read this again. First off disregard the people who say it's bad media and provide no other help whatsoever. I'm here to tell ya that there was nothing wrong with my media. In fact I used the SAME exact DISC which had an error on it and I was still able to burn with that disc on my other computer. So for all those who were quick to say it's bad media, thanks for no help at all. Now it really comes down to as why I get the error when I burn with pc in my dorm and not the pc at home.

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@ecko123, these guys are qualified in stating that the media could be the cause as they answer these kind of questions day in day out. I do too, but i read far more stuff re media than i post about. DVD burning just isn't an exact science yet. We should all be able to go out and buy any old media, burner etc and just create usable discs. It just doesn't happen that easily with DVDs, a lot of this is down to the media, whether just crap or not as compatible as they might be. Reading your initial post you seem to have covered the basics. However you are ignoring everone's advice re the media. Have you done some searching yourself for calibration errors, either on afterdawn or say, google ?. You will find the answer to this will generally be media related. I'd say post relevant section of your Nero log, minus serial number which begins with '1A21' or similar - it's in c:\program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.log or similar.

Until you post some log info, or try some different media as ppl are suggesting, you just aren't gonna get dvd burning...

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@ecko123

Media is usually the first suggestion to be made as it is the easiest to fix, and the people who answered you are very qualified, and their information should not be disregarded. Since you have this problem on only one PC, it would be nice if you provided some specs on both PC's for comparison, and as Creaky states a log file from the good burn on your home PC and a log file from a bad burn on your dorm PC would also be helpful.

16. creaky

@ecko123 - you may have Nero inCD (packet writing software installed & interfering - uninstall it. Nero logfile will verify it's existence.

Here's a v good start re Power Calibration errors - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/93406

also, quote from "http://www.nero.com/en/FAQs_Error_Messages.html#9 - "

"9. I get a 'Power calibration error' or 'Calibration area (almost) full' error message. Why?

Power Calibration is controlled by the recorder.

Before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the CD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). During the write, it continues to do this test to get the best write throughout the whole CD; this is called "Running Optimum Power Calibration" (ROPC).
    This whole process is controlled by the recorder, though initiated by programs such as Nero. There is an area on the inner part of the CD for the test and test data info to be stored. You can use this area up to 999 times.

If you receive the "Power calibration error" or "Power calibration area is (amost) full" error message, the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder.

Please try the following solutions:

Update the firmware of your recorder. Please check the manufacturer's website for the latest version.
    [bold]Try another brand of CD-R or CD-RW media.[/bold]
    Try different power connectors, and for recorders, do not share power with other devices. It needs its own power connector. If the error occurs with an external recorder, the power source in the chassis could be the cause. As a test, try to take the recorder out of the external chassis and connect it internal.
    Try different configurations, such as taking the CD-ROM to the primary IDE bus as slave and have only the recorder connected to the secondary IDE bus as master.
    Send the recorder in for service."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  17. creaky

did this problem ever get a resolution ?

18. baabaa

baabaa Active member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, what, eh, who said that.........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

19. creaky

lmao, i stumbled on this one while looking for answers to a similar one

20. arniebear

arniebear Active member

After all the expertise that was given, how could it not have been resolved.