1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Calibration Error in Nero

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by crag364, May 7, 2004.

1. crag364

crag364 Member

Hi,

I have made many dvd's using nero express 6 before now, and in the last couple of days i have been having an error message come up after about a minute into the burn process saying 'Power Calibration Error'. This only seems to happen once every two discs, so i can make one disc then the next one will come up with this error message. I have tryed cleaning nero up with there utilities on the Nero site but i still have the same problem.

Please could anyone help as it is starting to get annoying and costing a fortune in discs.

Thanks

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I usually like to help, but sometimes it is better if people learn to help themselves.

Look at the top of the page.
    See the words Search messages.
    Click on that.
    Select Search for this exact phrase.
    In the box type Power Calibration
    Select Not older than Last 30 days or Last 90 days.
    Click the SEARCH button.

Now an amazing thing happens. Many topics that have already discussed this error are displayed, and you have your choice to read some or all of them. Isn't that easier than starting a new thread to discuss something that has already been covered.

I think you will find the solutions are something like this.

1 Bad Media, Bad Discs. Get better Discs.
    2 Dirty Burner. Get a cleaning disc.
    3 Defective Burner. A possiblity but more likely 1 or maybe 2.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yes, when u post it comes up with an option to search the forum, why not use it. I have replied to soo many Power Clalibration Error threads its unreal. We're not signaling you out and having a go at you, just helping you to help yourself

4. grogey

grogey Guest

Here is some more interesting info that might help:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/84332

You need to check on your model of burner, firmware version and media used. Read the thread and it will give you an idea of what I'm getting at.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    My best advice for NEWBIES is:"use the search function.
    THE BEST REVENGE IS TO LIFE A GOOD LIFE
    Aim for Charm not Perfection
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2004
  5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

had this problem recently it turned out to be bad media

6. crag364

crag364 Member

Hi thanks for responding everyone,

I found out that the problem was the laser was dirty so i brought a disc cleaner and cleaned it and it has been fine since.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Good for you! Now when the next power cal question comes in you will have an answer for them. So, BTW how many discs have you burned and what kind of burner are you using?

Just curious...

Cheers,
    Frank

8. crag364

crag364 Member

Hi, Im not sure how many discs but it might be in the hundreds and i have a PIONEER DVDR 106-D

9. kezm

kezm Guest

i always had this with the hacked firmware m8 power errors are you using a hacked firmware

10. crag364

crag364 Member

No, i use nero 6 it came with my pc when i got it

11. john179

john179 Active member

The old pioneer god bless it.I remember my calibration error with the old 104.I did everyhing to solve the problem even re formatted my hard drive.Problem was i did not look at the simple solution first the media what a dork i felt.Still we all learn from trial and error.If you get any more try another media if it is not a dirty laser.

12. TheOutlaw

TheOutlaw Guest

Power Calibration Error... Those dreaded words... I used to throw a party if I DIDN'T get one with my old one speed Panasonic...

...Those were the days, eh

13. mbjb

mbjb Member

I have a similiar problem with the "power calibration error" and would like to know if anyone else has the same problem as me.
    I have an Optorite dvd burner (model DD0405) and have had problems when trying to write to and format CD-RW discs,whenever i try to record to one i get the calibration error,this has happened several times on several discs.The discs i use are Packard Bell rewritables (i havn't tried any other makes yet)
    Writing to DVDR/DVDRW and CDR is fine without problems so its just CDRW i am having problems with.
    Burning application i use is Nero OEM which was supplied with the drive.
    So,folks is it the drive,the cdrw media or Nero??

regards

14. crag364

crag364 Member

Hi,

If it is just the cd rw discs and the others work fine, it sounds like the media to me.

15. RMiranda

RMiranda Member

Another cause for a Power Calibration Error is having two DVD drives on the same IDE cable running Windows XP. The drivers Windows XP use sometime get confused between the two drives and cause this error. I removed the second DVD drive and it fixed my error.

16. gaspx

gaspx Member

I started going down this route when I got the continual Power Calibration errors about 1% into writing a disc in Nero 5.5.x and Nero 6..

I had installed the DVD drive sandwiched between my other CD/DVD combo drive and the hard disk in a "Silent Drive" caddy..

The problem was caused by the heat of the hard disk in the caddy, as without changing anything else, I just moved the Hard disk down a slot and rebooted..

Power Calibration errors were gone.. :)

So, if all else fails, check that your dvd writer isn't getting too hot!

17. john179

john179 Active member

I had the same problem once and was all down to faulty media.I would put money on it being faulty media.

18. aab203

aab203 Member

Hi,

I was just wondering... I have the same Power Calibration Error (and no, i'm not going to ask for help on it lol as i know there are plenty of forums with advice on this matter to sift through).

All the disks the came back with the "Power Calibration Error" at like 1%.. does this mean that all of these disks are now coasters, or are they still ok to burn with when i finally come to fix the problem. I've used the same disks like 70 times previously without a single coaster occruing (the disks are Infiniti disks) and so i really don't think that this cane be a case of bad media... but u never know

I've tried updating the firmware (ive got an NEC ND-5100a updated to ND-5500a) and that hasn't fixed the problem. I will try cleaning the laser and what not. If that fails... i think a ring to Dell will be in order

Thanks in advance.
    Ant

19. boycali01

boycali01 Guest

i had the same problem with the power calibration error too. but i found out the problem is the media(bad disc)if u try to use 2x to burn the dvd instead 4x it will be sucessful everytime

20. pcola001

pcola001 Member

I have save problem But didnt get it until after using a dvd lens cleaner in mine now wont even record time of day. Media was not problem Optorite DD0405 1 month old couldnt find that in FAQ New pc Win Xp
    Nero 6 No matter what media Brand of DVD-r working fine before Lens cleaner. Is it me or memorex