1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power calibration error?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by alangrw, Feb 16, 2004.

1. alangrw

alangrw Guest

I've been using my freecom burner for a couple of months with datasafe go4's and have had very few problems. I wanted to try the Ridata discs as i know they are higher quality and i thought i could burn them at 4x with no problems because i only get no errors with 2x on the datasafe discs! I just put my first Ridata in and i get this error - Power calibration error! I realsie that this means it has a problem with the media but why? They're the best Riteks out there??? Could it be something to do with my cracked freecom firmware? My drive came with nec 1300 firmware, should i go back to that and would that make the difference! I'm soooo pi**ed off, thought i was going to improve my burning, not make problems! Might even take the burner back and say it's not good enough and get a pioneer instead. Someone please help me before i go and spend £120 on a new burner, as i can't really afford it!!!

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Taking it back sounds a good idea in exchange for the Pioneer. You should not be getting that message and the only time I've had it on my pioneer is when I'm trying to backup a disc that was originally burnt at a different burn speed. Even then it's very rare. You'd better not tell them that you've installed cracked firmware though or they may not accept it!

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yes, definitley dont mention the cracked firmware because it voids your warranty and they wont touch it. Just hope that they replace it with a new one and then leave your other name and address with them ;-)

4. alangrw

alangrw Guest

I took it back and it wouldn't burn at 4x so they gave me a credit note! Put my real name and address down though so i hope it just goes in the bin and they don't bother having a real look at it! :) I just bought the pioneer from another place and i just burnt my first disc at 8x with 4x ridata, no faults on disc either, plays like a dream!