1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Calibration Errors

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Nephilim, Jul 7, 2004.

1. frikoriko

frikoriko Member

I fixed my calibration error problem. It was doing that with all the Memorex CDRs I had. I then tried burning them at a speed higher than 8x and it worked. 12x and 16x worked fine and everything else would cause the calibration error problem.
    I have a NEC 3500A flashed to MadDog and it's brand new so it can't be a dying burner.

2. ReSpEcT

ReSpEcT Guest

I do not know if this anything to do with Calibration but I have just backed a couple of DVD's I was using
    Nero latest to do Disk Copy, and DVD Santa to burn a Video_TS folder.
    Both burns went fine. But when I tried to play them, nothing. One disk is a Arita DVD RW x 2. The other is a Pioneer DVD RW x 2. I cannot open either DVD, and I cannot Erase either of them. When I try to use Nero to Erase them it tells me both disks are not RW. I've had a few coasters in my time, but do not use DVDR disks now until I get it on a RW and then just copy.
    Just for your info CDR-W seem OK. In my computer my burner shows up OK as DVDRW Drive E. As soon as I place a DVD in the drive it changes to CD Drive and
    nothing shows up in properties
    I have had the drive since it came out. Been quite
    reliable upto now. Could this be dust on the DVD lens in my Burner. Ihave also heard that people have had problems since loading SP2. I only did this last week.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

3. roryoss

roryoss Member

if you read my earlier posts you see the problems i had and they seem to be resolved now!!!
    i had to reinstall winxp and at the time blew out my dvdrw drive w/air!! had been able to only record with dvd-r and for awhile couldnt do that,could not erase cdrw or dvdrw or transfer files to cdrw!!
    now dont know which helped the most but i can now do all these things
    havent tried dvd on an rw yet or dvd+r and will wait to try that as long as this other stuff works!!!

4. ReSpEcT

ReSpEcT Guest

I check and found Inhave the latest Firmware, official firmware.
    I have tried a Pre recorded DVD,works fine
    I tried a DVD I burnt from an image last weekend
    and that worked fine.
    Tried a brand new Arita DVDRW x2 on putting it the drive DVDRW Icon changed to CD only.
    I started Nero and did a Disk Check and that showed up OK that it was a RW disk empty.
    Could it be just dust, or something more serious.

Please advise

5. L33TNooB

L33TNooB Member

After reading the post about cleaing out the drive i simply opened the drived and blew into it and there ya go it works and doesnt give me the power calibration error anymore so that if probly the problem thanx :)

6. phaserule

phaserule Guest

My Pioneer A04, with updated firmware, was recording on a 4x dvd (memorex) at a 2x speed and was working fine. Until, I uninstalled a trial copy of htburndvd32shareeng. I discovered imedately(!!!) afterwards that I now had a power calibration error with burnatonce and recordnow that was not there before the uninstall. Burn4Free can burn at 2x with no power callibration error but doesn't do videos. To repair this I cleaned the drive serveral times, double checked (triple checked) that I had the updated version of firmware and even reinstalled it. To no avail. Followed this with a reformated hd and clean reinstall of win xp. Given that I've excepted the fact that most problems that I have are due to my lack of knowledge, still I think that it was a strange time for a power callibration problem to occur - during the removal of a program.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  7. madmurdoc

madmurdoc Member

Hi

I use to suffer from the ballache of power callibration errors until i turned of Win XP's burning engine, to do this follow:

1 click start
    2 select control panel
    3 click on administrative tools
    4 click on services
    5 browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
    6 right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
    7 in the middle of the window it will say start up type.click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
    8 make sure you click APPLY

After this i was able to burn anything i wanted at quite fast speeds with shody media.

8. webben

webben Member

Another one bites the dust...
    I'm on a pionner 108 and got the power calibration error this morning and I was really the dust. I work only with sony and ritek dvdr so the I think the media quality couldn't be the cause

a little air duster can after scrapping 10-15 dvds fix everything

thank for your replies Oopsla

9. havanaja

havanaja Member

Began to get "power calibration error" after upgrading Nero - uninstalled the nero upgrade and reinstalled the "old" Nero version but could not get rid of "power calibration error"!

10. havanaja

havanaja Member

Began to get "power calibration error", for DVD burning, after upgrading Nero and i had used the same-two Sony dvd burners for several years with virtually 100% success!!! Used TDK, Sony and Maxell disks.

Imediately after upgrading Nero, I got the "power calibration error" 100% of the time burning dvds...same failure rate for several months now.

Then I uninstalled the nero upgrade and reinstalled the "old" Nero version but could not get rid of "power calibration error"!

11. Pariah333

Pariah333 Member

I'm using a Sony Dru-500a with the latest firmware, Taio Yuden dvd-r, and Nero 6.6 something or another. I have been getting the same Calibration error as everyone else, but I've noticed that if I slow the unit to 2X instead of the max 4X the disc will burn. I've tried everything from using 3 different burning programs to taking the drive apart, and cleaning it. It's rather frustrating, but at least I know that it will function at %50. Anyways I hope that this helped out in some way. Good luck
    Pariah

12. webben

webben Member

The power calibration error came back on my pionner 108.. I tried to downspeed it.. the burner only work at 4x and less... I try to reclean it etc.. but nothing this time... must be the end for this burner (I burn at least 1500-1600 dvds' with so isn't so bad)...

13. Pariah333

Pariah333 Member

Webben is the disc starting to record, and then failing, or is it just failing from the start?
    If it is just giving you the error from the start then drop the speed, and give madmurdoc's solution a shot. It can be found earlier in this thread. If you have already tried this then try checking your wnaspi32.dll (providing your running XP). It may have corrupted somehow, not sure how, but it does happen. I believe that there is a program to test it on Nero, or Adapttec's websites I'm sorry I can't remember which one it is. I really hope this helps you out
    Pariah

14. webben

webben Member

Thanks for you answer...

The problem isn't always at the same time.. and sometimes 8x burning works... Like, I try to clean it up with a compressed air can by the drawer of the dvd. The straw of the can was shoot in the dvd (yeah that's dumb :p) so I was force to open it to widthraw it. By the way, I do a better clean in the dvd.. I was able to do about 5-6 8x burning before get back the power calibration error...

I will try your sugestion and give you feedback.. but I think the burner will die shortly... (it made a great job for the times it work... 1500+++ dvds')

15. Ravix

Ravix Member

Has anyone tried madmurdoc's approach? I hadn't heard of that. (MeSoNOOB)I'm going to give a try and report back. I've got a NEC ND1300A and i've been getting P.C.E. too. I'll try the dust first. I've only burned 5 DVD since new using the supplied Roxio garbage, just upgraded to Nero so I suspect the drive is OK.

Ravix

16. webben

webben Member

> Has anyone tried madmurdoc's approach?

I'm trying it at this moments... for so far, I burned 3 dvds at 8x without errors, look good...

17. Ravix

Ravix Member

I've discovered a possible cause of my problem but haven't tried it yet. Appreantly DVD-R have a problem with encoding. I picked up some DVD+R yesterday and will try one tonight. Wish me luck. or carma, providence, prayer, whatever...

18. Ravix

Ravix Member

BTW, i tried madmurdoc approach without any difference, but, as mentioned before, with DVD-R disks.

Also, do DVD-/+RW disc play in DVD players.

19. webben

webben Member

Ravix, what's the model of your DVD writter ? For me, My pionner 108 doesn't burn movies corectly on DVD+R but it's ok for data. I only use dvd-r since that.

by the way, for the madmurdoc approach I tried it since my last post and look fine. Got only 2 errors (no "power calibration error") on about 20 dvds

20. Ravix

Ravix Member

NEC ND1300A