1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power DVD ultra

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by silentjay, Dec 31, 2007.

1. silentjay

silentjay Member

i was able to build an iso file from the blu-ray folders i ripped to my HD, mounted with daemon tools...but powerdvd doesnt like my video card even tho it plays the files directly with no hiccups.. has anyone found a workaround to bypass the hardware check within powerdvd ultra? i have power dvd ultra 7.3 running on intel core 2 quad with 3 gig ram and an onboard video card by intel.

2. newgen06

newgen06 Guest

Are you using AnyDVD HD? PowerDVD was giving me an error because I had a analogue LCD connected rather than a HD LCD. I used AnyDVD HD and to my surprise the problem went away.

3. silentjay

silentjay Member

yea i have anydvd hd. but the problem isnt that, its that powerdvd doesnt like my graphics card

4. vamsilak

vamsilak Regular member

cyber links powerdvd ultra 7.3 doesn't work
    if u have backup of bd/hddvd movie sin ur hardrive

iam still looking for it
    what i heard from this site is lower version work
    but theres no more previous version

5. newgen06

newgen06 Guest

PowerDVD does play rips if you convert them into an ISO and mount it with Daemon Tools, but you cannot watch .evo files with v7.3 on an old ver version 6.xx you can I think. But to be honest it is better do it the ISO way, as you preserve the menus etc.

6. silentjay

silentjay Member

is there any guides posted on how to properly create these isos, i used imgburn, used build mode, and just switched to udf with the two folders in the root. im thinking however this isnt as straight forward as it seems

7. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Hardware check? What hardware check?

I'm running 7.3 too, I have no idea what your talking about.
    If PowerDVD can't use your hardware accelerator then it reverts to a software one, so I doubt your graphics card should be any problem.

Although as other people have said I'm not sure it's entirely compatible with ripped BluRay ISO's. Try updating to 7.3.3.5

8. newgen06

newgen06 Guest

It is straight forward enough, just make sure you use the main file (the one that was created when the movie was ripped) as the root of your UDF ISO. Mount ISO and play.

9. silentjay

silentjay Member

upgraded my video card so i could pass cyberlinks requirements. now im running intel quad core 2.40 3 gig of ram and a geforce 8500 gt with 512 of ram. all on my samsung lcd tv via rgb at 1080p. when i mount isos in daemon tools and play with powerdvd ultra its still very choppy. i cant imagine this machine with these specs could possibly be to slow to play these. any ideas?

10. newgen06

newgen06 Guest

I have a Intel Dual Core 2.67, 2GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS, Pioneer 202 reader AnyDVD HD 6.3.0.3. Your PC spec should be fine, it is most likely a software related problem.

Are you using the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra? I had some issues with Fox titles (Die Hard 4, Robocop) played very choppy. It was strange because all the over BR movies I tested worked 100%, haven't any issues playing HD DVD's with my Xbox 360 HD drive either. So I download the PowerDVD update and away the problems went. Do any movies play OK or do they all play choppy?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  11. silentjay

silentjay Member

so far ive tested old school and anchorman, both play choppy. i have "300" now ill try that

12. silentjay

silentjay Member

alright, im at the point where im about to give up. as powerful a machine as i have this shouldn't be happening. ive tried the following movies, anchorman, old school, superbad, and transformers. every single movie as an iso mounted in daemon tools plys super choppy. i have power dvd ultra 7.3... and nvidia pure video installed, anydvd as well, although i don't need it from what i can tell. what are the best codec packs i can use to play these isos smoothly. also is there a way to clear all the ones ive installed already and start from scratch without formatting and reinstalling windows?

13. newgen06

newgen06 Guest

Try another version (build) of PowerDVD, I had problems with Die Hard 4 and Robocop (fox titles) so I went back a few versions, now problem has gone. I am on 7.3.2605.0 now.

14. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Silentjay:

To be honest it has nothing/very little to do with your specs and codecs. I'd say it's the fact that your trying to playing Blu-Ray image files with PowerDVD that is the real problem.

I don't know anyone who does this anyway. Why bother ripping them, it's a huge waste of space and as of now you have no sure-fire way of backing up Blu-Ray movies. With DVD it's a different matter..

Let me ask you.. do have any problems when you play Blu-Rays from the disc?

15. newgen06

newgen06 Guest

Ripped Blu ray movies (ISO’s) can be viewed on a PC using PowerDVD Ultra 7.3, as long as it is not the latest version, hence why im using an older version. For new PC’s it’s not hard at all.

At the moment I have a DVI to HDMI cable that connects my PC to my 42” Toshiba LCD, works really well. I don’t need to go into why you would want to rip em to your HDD and play them back!!!!!! A mate lets you watch his movie but you don't have time to watch it!!!!!

16. silentjay

silentjay Member

@amir

in the case of why they're on my hd ill leave that up to your imagination. the fact is, whether directly from disc or in an iso shouldnt make any differenc, theyre the same files. sometimes the exact same iso will play fine, other times choppy, its just inconsistent

17. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

QUICK ADVICE: NERO SHOWTIME

I've been a PowerDVD user for *years* and tried everything to get it workig properly with either playing straight from disc, or files ripped to HDD. Sometimes it's ok, lots of times it crashes.

I tried Nero ShowTime - POOF, perfecto. Works almost identically to PowerDVD but completely smooth, and without the crashes.

18. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

I would advise against Nero Showtime as for many users it does the exact opposite, (choppiness, freezes, skips,etc..) and it uses it's own Nero video/sound codecs to play files which are significantly worse than PowerDVD's.

19. z0diac

z0diac Regular member

Wow that's strange. I tried TONS of different versions of PowerDVD from the latest 7.3 Ultra or whatever it is, down to 6.5, and got TONS of freeze-ups expecially if you hit pause while playing for an extended period, then try to unpause. Screen Capture doesn't work with PowerDVD, if you convert .evo to .mpv files you CAN use capture, but you can't pause so it's impossible. And not to mention the program would sometimes have troubles loading up the .evo file to begin with. I really wanted it to work because I've been using PowerDVD for all my DVD and .VOB/.VRO playing in the past.

But then I thought I'd check out Nero Showtime (latest version) and it played HD files just like the way PowerDVD plays regular DVD files.

Oh well, whatever works for each person I guess.

20. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

i leardned and still learning from u guys
    thankyou so much
    but i can tellu this
    i have 8500gt video card
    it works with powerdvd without any crashing
    with disc in or from the harddrive i didn't see any problems

may be its what kind of videocard in the sys