1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power goes on, red light goes Beep Beep Beep, HELP!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Starrift, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

Ok heres the deal, i turn on my compy and just as the power supply boots every thing up, the light that shows you the computer has power starts flashing red and beeping loudly. The fans and every thing start and every thing else looks fine but nothing shows up on the screen and still the beep.

Well any way, Any advice would be much appreciated ^.^

2. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Lots and lots of beeps?? fast and constant?

Ram error.

3. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

Ok it powers up then the power light (that little green one that tells you the computer has power) turns red, flashes & beeps three times (short beeps). It takes a second or so break then repeats.

4. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

If is a RAM error, what can I do to fix it?

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Take out the RAM, try it in the next slot on the board, see if it works then.
    Also, try rubbing your RAM connectors with a pencil eraser.
    If it keeps refusing to boot, your RAM's most likely toast.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

If your ram is blown then you wouldn't even get a screen.

This is what I would do...

Take the ram out and boot up, see if it still gives you the beeps, if so then your HDD is done. As suggested by -The_Fiend- switch the dimms and boot up, if you still don't get a picture (such as your bios screen) and no beeps then your ram is blown.

I actually never heard of beeps when ram is blown....I just don't get a screen...dunno with you guys?

7. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

Well Im not getting a screen either; red light, beeping and black screen. Ill try the bit with the RAM and if that doesnt work then ill be back.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2007
  9. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

Im not sure of my motherboard, ill check it out when i get time. As for the beeps, its 3 but what got me was the red light and no picture, the last time i had a normal keyboard error or other wise, the power light didn't change colour and the screen had a picture up telling you that there was a keyboard error. Ill try fiddling with the keyboard and the RAM when i get home from school today.

10. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

geestar, the hd won't cause the pc to beep if hd is dead, will just take longer to post & come up with master drive not found. i'm inclined it to be ram or ram slots but also possible is videocard is causing the problem.
    Starrift, is the video onboard or a card? check these links for bios codes for your make of bios.
    http://bioscentral.com/
    http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/bios_error_codes.html

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I was thinking the HDD was beeping....my fault.

Please continue.

12. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

New updates; I took out the RAM (it still beeped), I took out the hard drives (still beeps) and finally i took out the graphics card (IT STILL BEEPS >.<) so its none of those as far as i know.

13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Did you reseat the video card? Pull it out, and put it back in. Do the same with the RAM.

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well taking it all out wont help because
    a) If one of your components is dead like the ram leaving it in there while dead wont do anything your computer cant see it because it cant send a signal through it meaning it wont matter if you take it out as the computer thinks its out anyway or "Missing".
    Video Card i would doubt because your PC starts fine but you cannot see anything its doing.
    I dont know about hardrive I mean wouoldnt you be able to acces the bios anyway as its stored on the MotherBoard Flash.
    Another thing do you have a Hardrive light.
    You know one of them that every time something is loading it stays ussually red but could be green until it stops loading Well until the cpacity runs out of the Hardrive.

15. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

tried flashing your bios? sometimes the biggest problem has the smallest solution lol. just a thought

16. Starrift

Starrift Regular member

@GrandpaBW Ive taken out almost all of the hardware and put it back in but it doesn't seem to have done any thing. Could it be processor error?

@RubixCube What did you mean by that?

17. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

Try this:

Unplug power supply from outlet.
    Hold the turn on button for 10-60 seconds.
    plug it in and try it.

Hope it works :D

18. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

rubixcube, can't flash the bios if nothing posts at all as you can't see anything.

Starrift, can you try another videocard even if it is a pci version to see if current videocard is causing the problem? check the can shaped objects on the motherboard that are capacitors that they are flat topped & not domed.

19. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

oh yeah i missed that part. lol. hmm. clear CMOS? (maybe thats what I meant the first time) Find out what your motherboard model is and look up the beep codes for it, too. I know thats already been said, but I don't know if you've done it. It helped me when I needed it.

20. dazila

dazila Regular member

are you sure your Bios hasnt corrupted?
    If it has you will have to flash it without the picture you will need to just listen to the sounds.
    Check your manual how to do it on my motehrboard if the bios dies and te pc' is unsuable the way to instal the bios without seeing is.
    Change one of the jumpers to "0" setting so it boots of the floppy as you cant change it in the software.
    turn it on insert floppy with bios.
    restart floppy reads wait 2min floppy reads again if there are 3 beeps succesfull, continuous beeps unsuccesfull.
    if succesfull turn off put jumper back to "3" setting and start the pc up and your bios is back.`
    i dont know if this is the same deal with every mainboard?