1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power supply, - need help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by joeb969, Aug 8, 2007.

1. joeb969

joeb969 Guest

Hi guys, just trying to get a little insight here.

Problem is, the power supply on my pc keeps detonating.

I have replaced it several times now, trying to isolate what the problem is.

if it were just one bad power supply it wouldnt be a problem, however i cant afford to keep replacing them. Its getting to be less nd less time between each one detonating. It was suggested that i may be overdrawing from them, but that doesnt seem to be the case, as the last one blew up while the copmuter was turned off.

any educated suggestions, or even a bs answer that solves the problem by fluke would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

It does seem to be that you could be over-stressing the PSU.

But maybe you have the little red switch on the back set wrong... should be 110 for America and 220 for Europe.(pretty sure)

Maybe you just need to get a quality PSU. Maybe you've been buying cheap?

If that's the issue, get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182009

I have bought several for customer builds. They are the highest quality PSU I have personally used. I even have one in a home build.

Mine is running an overclocked AM2 X2 3800+ with 2GB of RAM and a 7600GT no problem. I built it for my mom.

If you are actually buying solid PSU's then it might be the power connector on your motherboard or maybe you have way too many drives. HDD's and DVD ROM drives can add up if you have too many.

Always realize that over-drawing your PSU can severely reduce it's life. You don't want to draw more than 60-75% on full load. Not really necessary but can ensure you that your PSU will handle it.

Apart from the PSU I showed you I don't recommend Rosewill PSU's. They don't have a great track record.

Stick with Enermax, Thermaltake, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, Corsair.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I don't yet have the confidence to recommend a PSU with as dodgy a record as Rosewill. Stick with the proper manufacturers.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the computer was off & the psu still "detonated" then the problem is not in the computer but out of it. how are you plugged to the wall, with just a cord or with a cord & power bar? is the powerbar surge protected? are you using the same power cord on all the psu's?

5. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

I think ddp's on to something there... check your cords >.>

**EDIT**

Sam, it may be difficult but you can find reviews for that PSU and it's little brother the RP500-2.

They are some of the most rock solid stable PSU's I've ever seen, I can safely recommend them with a clean conscious.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

perhaps that model is an outsourced example, a lot of PSUs are actually made by someone else, like my Toughpower that's actually a Channelwell. it could be that since rosewill didn't make that unit, it's actually good.

I however, don't even consider rosewill since they made this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817182004
    Only 51% 4 or 5 star has got to be a record. The number of DOAs and PSAs on that list is huge.

Also note this recent review for the very PSU you recommended

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  7. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

As much as I'd like to say that you shouldn't trust newegg reviews... I have to admit that every part can have bad samples...

Also note that customers are less likely to put on a review unless they feel something is worth saying... so I take that into account when I see reviews... bad reviews are just as, if not more, likely to be on there.

I have personally used about ten of those in builds and never gotten a bad one. So, out of experience I'd have to say it's at least a decent PSU.

I think the big concern with those ones has been heat. You need to keep them cool >.>

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, most of the problems seem to be related to overheating because the fan is rubbish or breaks.

9. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Yes, fan quality itself hasn't become an issue but I notice mine doesn't seem to push any air really. But with 3 120mm fans case temp is close to room temp. Thus, mine stays comfy while powering a dual core and 7600GT.

No fail or problems after 2+ months. And good official reviews when you can find them... awesome stability that makes the Hiper R-Type look sick >.>

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be honest, in your cool environment, you probably haven't got that issue.

11. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Actually that particular one is upstairs in my parents' room. They like Far Cry and my dad has been playing Half-Life 2 lately so he gave me money to build him something nice... my upstairs stays kind of warm actually. But no heat issues at all.