1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power surges (are my electrics at risk of blowing up)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by xboxdvl2, May 31, 2013.

1. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i live in australia and as some of you will know its winter here now ( think winter officially starts 1st june).We are having thunderstorms and had a blackout this morning for an hour.
    My neighbour is worried if the power goes off and on his electrical equiptment might blow up.Most mines running through powerboards with surge protectors.Think under law here all houses are fitted with clipsal safety switches (some australian correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not 100% sure on that).
    Is my electrical stuff at risk of blowing up.should i be worried or not????

2. aldan

aldan Active member

we get thunderstorms where i am in canada too.if it looks like a bad storm i will shut down my tv and computer.if you have a good surge protector you should be all right tho.im my lifetime [55 years so far] i have yet to see a tv blow up but i know it can happen.Al

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the only thing you really have to worry about is lightning strikes because if 1 hits the power lines near your house the surge protector will get destroyed as will your electrical stuff. need a spike protector not surge protector to protect you from lightning hits on the power line to the house. that protector has to be between the incoming lines into the house & the house breaker\fuse panel.

Last edited: May 31, 2013