1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Switch Pins on MOBO Not Responding.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jmorrow, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

Well this morning I woke up to find that my front panel power switch had finally given out. For the past few days I've had to hammer the power switch several times in order for it to start up, and could take anywhere between 10-60 seconds of trying for it to boot up. This morning I jump started my PSU to see if that was the problem, but everything operated fine, so thats not the problem.

The panel connections have previously worked, so I checked those to make sure there were secure, and then checked with my motherboard manual to make sure I had everything attached properly. No luck.

So is it possible to replace just the power switch for my case (orange/white cable connected to switch)? I've been searching for most of the morning and I haven't been able to find what I need.

Or is there any alternative methods for starting up that I could use?

Related hardware:
    FSP Group FX700-GLN ATX12V V2.2/EPS12V 700W
    NZXT LEXA-NP CASE

2. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

Might have a bigger problem than I originally thought. Tried using the reset switch (since it appears to be pretty much the same wire, just shorter), and manually jumping the computer myself using a screwdriver and piece of wire exposed wire, however nothing has happened yet.

So now I suspect that it might be a motherboard problem. However, the power LED on my motherboard is a solid green.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try just using the screwdriver as i use that sometimes on customers' motherboards.

4. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

Trying it out once again, tried using a screwdriver earlier but with little luck. Maybe I'm hitting the wrong pins. Found a jumper though, so I'll see if I can get it going with that and a pair of tweezers.

5. ddp

if using a black, red, blue or white jumper then don't as need to be a momentary contact like the reset button.

6. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

Either way, I'm still not getting any kind of response when connecting the pwrsw pins with a screw driver, tweezers or anything else I can find. Any suggestions?

7. ddp

disconnect all cables to drives. remove all cards & ram. don't need those for pc to powerup tho not post. try another psu or make certain current psu works on another pc. any of the silver topped can shaped objects that are capacitors on the motherboard domed as they are supposed to be flat topped?

8. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

Removed pretty much everything other than the CPU and heatsink, still no results after trying to manually start it, and with the switch. PSU works with other components, and put it in this computer and it started up fairly well. I don't see anything outstanding with the capacitors either.

9. ddp

try the board outside of case to see if have a grounding issue.

10. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

I don't believe its a mounting problem, as its been sitting inactive in my room for at least a month, and has been fine for about two years before that. Went on vacation about a month ago, and this just started happening as I returned. I will give it a shot though after I get back from eatting.

11. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

Well I removed it from the case, with power to the motherboard via 20+4-pin and 4-pin molex. No luck manually starting it outside the case either.

12. ddp

then hopefully is motherboard & not cpu. got that with a friend's computer that has a fried psu, dead hd, dead motherboard & don't know what else til i finish off this computer i'm working on for a customer.

13. jmorrow

jmorrow Member

I'm praying thats it. I'm going to see what I can salvage from this one if no solution arises soon, and maybe upgrade to AM2 socket at least, maybe Core 2.

ASUS might replace the board, but I really don't have the time to wait for 4 weeks. Gonna try and give them a call tomorrow.