1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerBook G4 SuperDrive (Matshita DVD-R UJ-815) DVD-R Media Test Results

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by stineb, Apr 1, 2003.

1. stineb

stineb Guest

PowerBook G4 SuperDrive (Matshita DVD-R UJ-815) DVD-R Media Test Results

I have encountered problems with some DVD-R media when I try and burn DVD?s on a new PowerBook G4 SuperDrive that uses the Matshita UJ-815 mechanism (Device Revision D0C4). I ordered the DVD-R media ?test pack? from SuperMediaStore.com. The product description is as follows:

DVD-R Small Test Pack include 2pcs Optodisc Gold , 2pcs SUPERMEDIA , 2pcs DVDPRO , 2pcs Optodisc Blue Top DVD-R , and 2pcs Optodisc DVD-RW , Each in Jewel Case

DVD01X0011-S05 Regular price: $28.00 Our Price: $19.50

After explaining my problems to the people at SuperMedia, they also included a few extra test disks (thanks!!!).

For source material, different DVD?s were backed up to my drive using DVDBackup version 1.2. The VIDEO_TS folder was then burned to the different DVD-R medias using Toast Titanium 5.2. I am running OS X 10.2.4 on a 867 Mhz G4 PowerBook with 768 meg of RAM that is a few weeks old. I thought it may be useful if I posted my experience with different brands of DVD-R media.

Here are the results:

Media that worked fine ?

Optodisc DVD-R (OR470-000) Blue and white ?branded? disc in jewel case. I believe these are the Optodisc Blue Top DVD-R = one successful burn.

DVDPRO DVD-R 4.7GB ? white surface with a glossy finish, no lettering = two successful burns.

SUPERMEDIA DVD-R 4.7GB generic shiny silver surface = one successful burn.

GENERIC that only has ?DVD-R 4.7GB? on it?s label. Generic shiny silver surface, no lettering. These may be Optodisc but I?m not sure. = one successful burn.

Media that did not work ?

Optodisc DVD-R ?Ink-Jet Printable? matte white top surface with no lettering = Multiple errors on multiple burns. Mostly near the end of the session.

Optodisc Gold DVD-R Generic matte gold surface DVD-R ?For General? = Error ?Sense Key = medium error Sense Code = 0x73 0x74? at the end of the burn.

Optodisc DVD-RW ?bulk? shiny silver surface = not recognized as a recordable disc which is no surprise considering with this version of firmware the UJ-815 is not supposed to support DVD-RW.

SUPERMEDIA 4X DVD-R 4.7GB generic shiny silver surface = unreadable sector after burn. Only had one disk to try.

I hope others find this information useful. The DVD-R disks were purchased from http://www.supermediastore.com/ And just for the record I have no affiliation with supermedia.

-Blaine

2. nigel_b

nigel_b Member

Thanks for the info.

I have the same drive and the only media I have been able to use is the Memorex DVD-R 4.7G