1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PowerDVD Problem Playing Backups on PC

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SeatoSky, Jan 3, 2004.

1. SeatoSky

SeatoSky Member

Hi all,
    I have a new LiteOn 811S using Decryptor>DVD2One>Nero 6.0 with -R/W Maxwell media.
    Processes all complete as expected.
    Plays the backup on my standalone JVC as expected, however, it will not play on my PC using PowerDVD program that came bundled with the 811S.
    The error message returned is "Error Code: 89020003
    The DVD disk might have been damaged so as to inhibit playback operation."
    (On Raiders of the Lost Ark it would play the intro. then return the error message.)
    In PowerDVD I can select the files to play from the Hard Drive, ie: rather than directing it to the DVD Writer, and they will play, just not automatically one after the other.
    Any suggestions or help appreciated.
    Later Seato.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

hi Seato,
    Can you use PowerDVD to play the original disc?

Nero has a "verify written data" box in the burn window, you might try selecting that for your next burn.

PowerDVD should play the movie from your hard drive just like a normal movie. I put my ripped video files into a VIDEO_TS folder and then select that for PowerDVD to play.

Your DVD ROM may not like the -R/W media, try a burn with some -R or+R media and see if that plays. Try playing your original first though.

Just some guesses.

Good luck,
    Frank

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

power dvd could be a program that corrupts your dvd burning/ playback. Certain software inhibits your dvd capabilities. Have you tried win dvd & does your system support your media? Media & software are the key to happy dvd burning. try different options, what may be good for the next man may be no good for you
    Happy burning

4. SeatoSky

SeatoSky Member

fasfrank,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the original plays fine.
    I have also used the -R/W sample disk provided with the burner, not sure of the disk make, but it does not work either, which is odd since it came with the unit.
    In fact I think the first backup I put on the supplied -R/W (Pirates of the Caribbean) did playback in PowerDVD then nothing from that point forward with either -R/W's.
    Have also tried some Princo -R blanks and same thing, plays on JVC standalone but not on PC.
    Must be software related, ie: PowerDVD as suggested by pulsar (thanks for your input also pulsar).
    Funny thing again is PowerDVD shipped with the unit. I did try a reinstall of course, no luck there.
    I will look around for another player and try that next.
    Cheers Seato.

5. SeatoSky

SeatoSky Member

OK, that got it. I ditched PowerDVD and am trying WinDVD 5 Platinum. Guess what, it works!
    Thanks so much for the help guys, really appreciate it.
    Have a good one, Seato.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Princo does not have a very good reputation here at Afterdawn. Its been the cause of many problems.

Best wishes,
    Frank

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

glad to see win dvd works, nice one dude!!

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

i run a sony dru510a fitted with the latest d drivers, I use dvdx platinum for burning dvds. It really kicks ass!! It's dead easy to use & I've found out how to access the log files, these files keep a log on all of the failed burns & why they occurred. I recently discovered that the software will read as much info as it will throw at it. This is excellent because the film industry use dvds with a far bigger capacity than you can get off the shelf. I.e the Office series 2 dvd is 7.3 gig, shelf dvd 4.7 gig. Even with the excellent compression techniques used by 321 studios cannot fit it all on 4.7 gig. So the answer is to remove the last title in the platinum menu, you do not lose any of the episodes or features in the original. The picture quality is excellent. The fault told me to look in the log files, I accessed the program files, click on platinum icon, then click on log folder, then you see the documents which can be opened, these keep a record of what went wrong with burn process. It told me the dvd blank could not take all of the files even under compression,( I expect that 321 studios limit the compression in order not to sacrifice the picture quality). The program is designed to read as much info as possible, this will take into account that in the future off the shelf dvd media will get greater capacity, much the same as the film makers.
    The program requires up to 10 gig of your hard drive to store files to. This I believe will be reasonably future proof, at least for a short while anyway!
    The good thing with 321 studios is that they are always updating the software & improving burn times, read speed etc. At the moment my system will read 7.38 gig in 47 mins, & burn 6.4 gig in 27 mins. I think that's impressive. They E-mail you when the are updates to be had, that is what I call customer service!!
    There is also a dvd rescue program which can restore damaged dvds & cds, there are limitations to the amount of damage that it can read through though. But it also doubles as a dvd copier too. If the dvd you want to copy for whatever reason will not burn with the standard software, then 9 times out of ten the rescue program will do it. It takes a bit longer but the end result is always excellent.
    I hope that the info I have given you was help Believe me it has taken a while to learn all of this through trial & error!
    I run a 2600 athlon clocked to 2.2gig with an FSB of 173 to keep it quick & stable. I have an MSI K72N delta board (200FSB), 1 gig 333 memory, GeForce FX 5600 winfast a310 ultra graphics, 5.1 surround, 120 gig 7200 hd, samsung dvd/cd combo, sony dru510a dvd burner, 550w antec psu, antec plusview server case, lots of lights an toys through the glass (bit of bullshit!), 120 gig usb2 zip drive (handy for file transfer, lightning fast!)
    Software & good media are the key to happy burning, I use packard bell approx £16.50 for 10, with excellent results. Keep experimenting with your system with software, drivers (Driver heaven.com is excellent, or guru3d.com), media and patience will reward you with 100% results.
    Regards,
    Pulsar

9. SeatoSky

SeatoSky Member

Wow pulsar, nice set-up. Mine is getting a little long in the legs now, 512 mb early 2100DDR w/ 1400 Athlon, but it still ticks along for most things.
    Now that everything is running smoothly, even the Princo -R's work just fine in the LiteOn 811S on the few I have tried, I need to go in just the direction you discussed regarding compression, re-authoring, etc.
    I will check out the program you are using, sounds sweet.
    My other area of interest with this is to get my Sattelite Video w/ AC3 Audio (Dolby Digital) signal to the computer so I can then have a TiVo type recorder/playback or backup to DVD. Neat stuff this ...
    later, Seato.

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

nice one, I've spent nearly £2500 on my system, the display looks great on my 28" Panasonic, everything is hooked up to my 25 year old Trio Amp & 265W Jamo speakers, Enhanced with Pioneer multi region/format dvd player dv545, which is also hooked up to amp & optically to creative 5.1 sound, marvellous toys to be had. I only have a 60 Hz 14" monitor though! ( it was free OK!!) haven't seen a monitor I fancy yet , but I would like a 21" lcd when they are better & cheaper. This will improve the refresh rate (100Hz) for even smoother graphics & with max of .23 pixel size should suffice for nice resolution!!
    Don't ask for too much do I?

11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

oh the FX is 256 DDR too!

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

did I just say that lcds have a pixillation rate? whoops!!

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

hi Guys,
    Lots of good stuff in your posts, Pulsar! I'm going to go look for log files!
    Cheers,
    Frank

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

any time fast frank !

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

16. pulsar

pulsar Active member

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I've seen that website, the process looks quite long & drawn out, I'm not too bothered about removing the logo, it only makes the process slower- speed is the key!!!

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

another problem that is that the movie people use dual layered disc, this effectively doubles the size of the data which can be stored. This is a problem because the lasers that are available can only burn one layer, but can read two, this is down to the reflective rate of both layers of the materials used in the disc, the dvd laser is a lot narrower than a cd laser. This is what makes the burn process alot more susceptible to tripping up at the drop of a hat. That's why you have to shut all applicatios down before you burn. Also, certain software by just being installed can corrupt the burning process.
    The best analogy is that it is easier to read something than to burn it. i.e. everybody can catch a TV signal, interpret it & watch it, than it is to transmit it. Look how much equipment TV companies have to use to transmit a signal, all we need is an aerial & decoder (TV or video recorder) Because it is only possible to make dual layer discs in the factory therefore we are limited to how much info can be compressed onto off the shelf discs we can burn to. I'm sure that as time goes on, compression & file capacity will improve. I would expect, however, to be limitations though as logic dictates, to this technology