1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preload and Interleaving

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tjax, Feb 11, 2005.

1. tjax

tjax Member

Hello,

Is there a tool that diplays the preload and interleave values for a given AVI file? I have an XVID/AC3 AVI and for some reason I want to find out how the streams were interleaved.

Thanks.

2. tjax

tjax Member

I just discovered that the preload is displayed by VirtualDub in the "AVI Information" window.

The Interleaving seems to be reported by GSpot. However, after saving some AVIs from VirtualDubMod with different settings for the AC3 audio interleaving (256 ms, 512 ms), I noticed that GSpot reported the same thing each time: 1 audio frame (32 ms). I compared the files and they seem to be quite different, so I guess VirtualDubMod really interleaves the streams based on my settings, and it is GSpot that reports an incorrect value.

So, is there another tool that can analyze an AVI and display the correct interleaving?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I didn't know GSpot would report that.
    Interleave for AVI with VBR MP3 audio should be every 1 frame.
    With CBR or AC3 audio, interleave can be extended to every 10 frames, resulting in a slightly smaller filesize.
    I can quickly re-interleave a file and, depending on the filesize, based on these rule o' thumb settings, I can estimate interleave fairly accurately.
    Playback from harddisk, with CBR MP3 or AC3 audio, is 'best-case' scenario and will not require tight interleave.
    Playback from Optical drive with VBR audio is 'worst-case' scenario, and good playback performance will then require every-frame interleave :)
    Regards

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

With CBR or AC3 audio, interleave can be extended to every 10 frames, resulting in a slightly smaller filesize.
    I can quickly re-interleave a file and, depending on the filesize, based on these rule o' thumb settings, I can estimate interleave fairly accurately.
    Playback from harddisk, with CBR MP3 or AC3 audio, is 'best-case' scenario and will not require tight interleave.
    Playback from Optical drive with VBR audio is 'worst-case' scenario, and good playback performance will then require every-frame interleave :)
    Regards

5. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Regards

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Regards