1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing for DL: Changing back up habits on SL?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by fingle, Oct 25, 2004.

1. fingle

fingle Member

In anticipation of reasonably priced DL media, I am thinking of doing semi-temporary backups to two DVD-5 discs, which if needed sometime in the future could be easily reconstructed into a DL DVD-9.

I would think the easiest method would be to simply distribute the dvd files on two data disc dvds, but this obviously wouldn't allow watching them until your DL media/burner was available.

The movie could be split onto playable discs with ifoedit and rejoined later, but I don't know of a straightforwards way of doing this whilst keeping the menu structure.

You could always just use 3 SL dvds (two to back up the files, one transcoded that could be watched). This would still be cheaper than a DL disc, but would be rather time consuming.

Has anyone changed their habits in this kind of way, and does anyone know of a better strategy? (e.g. a playable split that can easily be reconstituted)

Thanks in advance for any replies,

2. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Great topic!

I've only just gotten into the backup game, so I'm in the process of forming habits, not changing them :)

I am waiting for DL media to come down in price before I back up a couple of DVD sets...one of them is nigh irreplaceable, so I want everything backed up uncompressed, and can't be bothered to do a SL back up in the meantime.

However, as I'm a bit worried about compatibility issues with DL backups anyway, I think for films that I don't really care that much about, SL will be fine for me, even when DL media becomes more affordable.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  3. fingle

fingle Member

Thanks for reply.

Habits must change with changing circumstances no matter how long you've had them!

On further reflection, I don't think I could be bothered archiving uncompressed dvds and burning them to dual layer sometime in the future. I'll settle for simple compressed single layer backups for the vast majority of stuff, especially as you can often produce video of indistinguishable quality on a single dvd-5. I agree with you in that I can't see DL discs being of major significance for me in the near future, especially with compatibility and durability concerns.

By the time DL discs are truly cheap and well established, we'll all want blu-ray or suchlike, followed by magic holographic memory crystals just like superman had.

In my day we made our own fun with a stick and a lump of coal etc etc... Why don't you lot get out of the house and get some fresh air?

4. DGenerate

DGenerate Member

Oh, I think when DL media becomes affordable, I'll do all my important backups on it. I'm sure that even if current DVD set tops have trouble with them, future set tops will play them...and I'm guessing that the next generation recordable DVD format won't be widespread for a couple of years. Point is, I'm looking forward to DL backups, but I can wait.