1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PRETTY BIG PROBLEM NEED HELPPPPPP!!!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by FaugYou, Aug 29, 2007.

1. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

MY BAD I FIGURED OUT THE HARD PART I still have a tiny problem tho... So I got my keyboard to work I found an option to in the bios... but When it Says:

Please select which operating system to use:

Windows XP Home Edition
    Windows XP Professional Setup

Windows XP Home Edition is the only one that works and the other selection is useless to me... everytime I restart or turn on the computer it goes to that screen and I have to move up withing 5 seconds to Home edition to select it... How do I get rid of the Windows XP Professional Setup option so I don't have that screen pop up everytime i restart or turn on my computer...?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

Sorry I forgot to say anyhelp would be great =)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Format your HDD and install XP Pro and not home. That would be the simplest and best option.

4. jony218

jony218 Guest

Direction for removing a dual boot.
    Remove an XP pro and keep XP home (both using same file system on different partitions).

To remove Win pro you just make XP home the Default OS. Then edit Boot.ini to remove the XP pro line. XP home will now boot directly. The Win pro directory can then be deleted.

Do not use System or Msconfig to disable the Win XP pro - that's unsatisfactory.

Example: Remove XP pro and keep XP home (same file system): (other combinations are similar)

Tip: Boot XP pro. Uninstall any XP pro only applications/software. Backup important XP pro data.
    Tip: Create a backup image of your system partition is always advisable.

1. Boot XP home.
    Make XP home the Default OS: (Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Settings > "Default operating system" list in System startup).
    2. Edit Boot.ini on the system partition (usually C:) - read Edit Boot.ini - Confirm the Default= line points to your XP home installation, and NOT to XP pro. - Delete the XP pro line in [operating systems] [multi(0 - it will be obvious which is for XP pro]. - Save as Boot.INI - Click OK until exited. Reboot.
    3. If satisfied, delete the XP pro installation directory and any non-essential XP pro data.

Warning: DO NOT format the drive containing Boot.ini .
    *important*Always backup Boot.ini first. Go to Menu bar > File > Save As. Name any safe folder, and save Boot.ini as Boot.inn (or a similar name). Note: If you now edit Boot.INN, remember to Save it as Boot.INI.

this is the only thing you need to do,(format or windows reinstallation not requiered). It's a good idea to have a utility that can boot up your computer from a cd, in case editing the boot.ini file causes the computer not to boot.

I recommend something like "paragon justboot corrector", that can let you edit the boot.ini file without using dos commands. You can also use your windows installation cd, but you need to write down the directions on how to do it first, before working on your computer.

5. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

THANKS MAN EXACTLY WHAT I NEED... I really appreciate your time =) thank you!!

6. FaugYou

FaugYou Regular member

Sorry last thing... it's not actually a running OS it's just a Professional Edition Setup that doesn't work so I just want to boot from the Home XP and delete the Pro Setup...
    It says this, how should I re-write it to make it run Home XP and not have a choice to run the Pro setup because that doesn't even work... Basically how can I edit the Boot.ini so that the black screen doesn't show up and it boots right to Home XP:

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=5
    Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

7. basquiat

basquiat Regular member