1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prevent Delete Of Installed Programs In Account.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by HikerDude, Dec 11, 2004.

1. HikerDude

HikerDude Member

I've just set up an account for my daughter under Windows XP Professional. This is not an administrative type of account. How do I change things in her account so that she cannot access certain programs? And regarding those programs that I choose to give her access to, how do I change her account so that she cannot delete or remove any of these programs? Does anybody know how to do this? Any knowledgeable help would be appreciated.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

sorry tried to respond last night, but kept on getting timed out ... so I decided to wait till today :)

Anyhow, you need to limit access under your daughters screen name. You need to login to the main users account (yours).

Now, click start -> control panel -> user accounts -> your daughter's account -> change account type -> change to "limited account".

With a limited account, you can:

* Change or remove your password
    * Change your picture, theme, or desktop settings
    * View files you created
    * View files in the Shared Documents folder

Users with limited accounts cannot always install programs. Depending on the program, a user might need administrator privilages to install it.

The down side
    Also, programs designed prior to Windows XP or Windows 2000 might not work properly with limited accounts. For best results, choose programs bearing the Designed for Windows XP logo, or to run older programs, choose the "computer administrator" account type. (but if you do choose computer admin, they would have full access to install/uninstall any program)

Hope that helps.