1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preview AVI file while downloading?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jlrm365, Mar 7, 2005.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I realise there are applications which allow me to do this, preview avi files before they are completely downloaded, but that function is usually added as part of a larger application.

Is there anything small and simple that will pick up an avi before it's completely downloaded, perhaps if there is a small bit, and show me what it's like?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

3. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

That one always worked great for me.I would suggest "googling" the word "avi previewer" and see what you come up with.
    Im guessing your right about not having enough of it.

5. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

I searched for "avi previewer" in google but google seems to be behaving quite strangely and I got no results once and then a string of them that meant nothing another. MSN Search did not come up with anything.

Does anyone else know of any other piece of sofware that does the same, that previews an avi while it's downloading?

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

google works just fine for me:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=avi+preview+&btnG=Google+Search

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

with KAZAA and SHAREAZA you can preview! not sure with bittorent?

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

kazaa uses the avi previewer I gave the link to in an earlier post,or at least k-lite does.

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

emule has a function within options/files/try to download preview chunks first, so that you can preview your files

10. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Do you really like emule?

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

emules not too bad as long as you realise that if you have more than 30 files queued than they is a good possibility that if you get to many low I.D's then there is a good possibility that you will get a temporay ban.For me that was 6 hours.With ADSL its quite good (75 gig ) in 30 days.

Originally i found it fustrating to use as its different to kazaa/imesh etc as it seems to be more thought out in the design and more options in the set up.But given time its actually quite easy to use.

12. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Hmmm. Ok. Does it display the dimensions of the file you are going after, before you download?

Regardless, back to the subject, is there a piece of software which will preview other formats as they download?

I was also wondering if there was a search tool that had a filter to search only for avi files or a tool that did just avi searches.

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

if you type in tmd avi for example the search results will consist of movies that are avi only

14. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

tmd? In my experience, they are a group who distribute small format cam taken movies - annoying, as they must have large formats in order to shrink them!

Can you give an example of how to enter "avi". Would it be better as:

"filename.avi" or
    "filename avi"

Does emule have various clients? If so, which is your favourite? I quite like Ares because of it's simplicity and display of output dimensions. Do any emule clients have that also?

15. andmerr

andmerr Guest

tmd avi was an example but yes you can type that in and yes you will get the whole listing of whats avaialable.But you can also type in the year but as long as you have this under video it will still display whats out

Emule has a lot of servers, my favorite is either razorback 2 or donkey server no 1 (they have the most files)

AD has a small tutorial on how to use:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/little_emule_tutorial.cfm

16. munchinuk

munchinuk Guest

ive found that the divx player 2.6 will play partial downloads. just point it to your file and play..or if your downloading at the time just copy the avi to your desktop then open the copied avi with the divx player. depending on the speed of your download can take awhile to copy over but worth a try..saves downloading the whole thing to find out its the wrong film.

17. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

andmerr - I had seen that one, but thanks for reminding me.

munchinuk - Thanks for that. Is that a recent version of the player?

Where in the UK are you? Though Canadian, I'm based in London :)