1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Price-fixing suit against CD distributors

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by 3pm, Aug 28, 2003.

1. 3pm

3pm Member

This is old news, sorry if it's been brought up before, but if it hasn't, I think it's something everyone should know about...

http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/english/default.htm

It's about a price-fixing suit brought against all the major CD distributors (Sony, Warner, Virgin, etc.) by the AG's of 43 states. The distributors settled out-of-court and are now paying up to $18 million each. The plaintiffs (which would be the 43 states, representing the buying public) didn't use invasive, illegal means to gather evidence.

I wonder why this doesn't get the press that the RIAA gets...

2. markchem

markchem Guest

Everybody should get about $12.60 if you signed up by the deadline. The money has not been distributed by the courts because a few people have decided that this was not enough and are independently suing. My thoughts are lets have the record companies pay $750 up to $150,000 per song on each CD that was sold under the proce fixing scheme. Or we could snd them an amnesty letter saying they could burn all the money they made from the price fixing and promise to never do it again. Hmmmm.....