1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pricefall?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by brent1a, Mar 6, 2004.

1. brent1a

brent1a Member

I'm just curious if anyone else would agree with me that a person could surmise that when blank DVD-9's are released that the prices for blank DVD-5's should fall. Or is that just wishful thinking? Because I'll be just content for a while continuing to use DVD-5's to backup my stuff as long as I have DVD Shrink. I don't feel like paying 4.99+ per disc for DVD-9.

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

Its obvious the price of 4.7g dvd-r media will drop.

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

It is already happening. Fast. Right after Dell recently signed up with the Blu-Ray consortium, I noticed that even the lowest prices I've seen for name-brand DVD media began falling by 20%+. TDK 4X, which were $129/100-pk at Best Buy, the lowest all year, were selling at $99. More recently, the Fujis were at $99/100-pk. Then the Memorex broke the $1/pc mark at $85/100-pk at Amazon. Forget DVD-9s, which will need a new kind of DVD burner. DVD media makers are focusing on Blu-Ray which are due to come out at the end of this year. DVDs will be history in 5 years.

4. MPR

MPR Member

Indeed, it is easy to find brand name DVDRs on sale for $1 each. Soon that will be the normal price and the sales will get better. I'm looking forward to $.50 myself.

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I dont think thats the reason prices fell, the Blue laser system. I think the market is becoming pretty saturated and suppliers/manufacturers are looking to pick up a bit of customer/brand loyality by lowering prices and encouragin their products to be bought. Ritek have lowered prices to eat get some of Princo customers since the Riteks are a lot better. If the Riteks are better and are similarly priced to a Princo, which would you get??

6. forkman

forkman Member

Prices in the uk are dropping dramaticly if you buy online for example 25 Bulkpack #4 disc's used to cost £20 now they are £8.99.
    Buy in the high street though and you will get ripped off.