1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PRINCO 1x-4x doesnt burn at 4x with DRU-500AX and NERO

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jorgev333, Jul 27, 2003.

1. jorgev333

jorgev333 Member

Hello, i've been trying to burn at 4x under Nero on my DRU-500AX with 2.0f firmware. I get "speed of source data is too slow" which makes me assume that the source (an ISO of a DVD) is read at too slow a pace.

I have tried under Nero to TEST MAXIMUM SPEED and when it measures it i get 6.7x read speed so it defaults then to write at 4x speed which is the maximum allowed for the medium.

How come then it takes 26-28 minutes to burn (Something like 2xSpeed?)

According to the spped test, it can get the data fater than 4x but when it comes to burning while getting the data (the actual writing part) it slows down.

I have already set all DMA to on. I have the ff configuration:

AMD XP2400+
    768MB RAM
    PRIMARY MASTER : MAXTOR 6Y120L= 120GB HD
    PRIMARY SLAVE : TOSHIBA SD-M1712 DVD-ROM
    SECONDARY MASTE : LG GCD-8520B 52xCD-RW
    SECONDARY SLAVE : SONY DRU-500AX 2.0f DVD+-R

How can i get 4xSPEED Burning? I use the 5.5.10 Nero

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

So, is the source your trying to burn on the harddrive, or are you trying copy on the fly? If you are doing it on the fly, the drive reading the source has to read at least twice as fast as you are burning. Secondly, Princo discs suck, so that doesn't help either.

3. jorgev333

jorgev333 Member

The Source is an ISO Image that is on my hard drive, yes. When i try to "DETERMINE MAXIMUM SPEED" under Nero, i get 6.7x read speed from the Image which i mounted using DEAMON TOOLS. I created the image using file mode of DVD Decrypter, Regarding Princo Disks sucking, it works at 2x speed without problems though. Can you recommend a similarly priced 4x media?

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

I'm not sure what the problem is then, sorry. Also the reason I said Princo sucks is because I bought a 25 pack and made 25 movies. Every one of the movies gave a disc read error about 3/4 into the movie. Luckilly, i was able to reburn them and they worked. I use TDK media, but i've heard Ritek is good and it is pretty cheap.

5. darkan9el

darkan9el Member

Hi all, I have a Sony dru-500a. I use DVD Decrypter, dvd2one; for dvd-9 and nero for burning

The DVD-R I use is DataWrite Classic (Red) they never let me down and are 4x and actually write at 4x.

this is a link to a review I read not to long ago: http://tinyurl.com/iaof

best regards Lee

6. tekbright

tekbright Member

Get rid of Nero. Use Roxio 6 platinum. I was burning at 1x2x and uninstalled Nero and Shazam. Has disc copier and will copy a burned dvd.

7. tekbright

tekbright Member

Get rid of Nero. Use Roxio 6 platinum. I was burning at 1x2x and uninstalled Nero and Shazam. Has disc copier and will copy a burned dvd.

8. tonyl1979

tonyl1979 Member

I know exactly what you are experiencing because that's the problem I'm having. For those who can't comprehend, let me explain.

I have purchased 4x Bulk Leda (Princo) and I own Sony 510a. From Nero, before you burn, when you insert the blank cd, it tells you the maximum speed you can write from recognizing the media. So, since the princo media is 4x, it shows up "4x" as maximum speed. When I start to burn this, it takes 30 minutes but the write speed says "4x". Don't blame on Nero cause I get the same shit through recordnow. Does anyone know what the problem is?, I heard replacing aspi layer might fix this problem.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Reply to Tekbright: Get rid of Nero and Roxio 6 and get yourself Record Now Deluxe, the best DVD copying software available:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/recordnowmax.htm

As regards to your problem, some discs, though rated at 4x, are actually more likely tobe capable to write at somewhere around the 3.5x Nero will drop it down to the next available recording speed. I heard this from another thread, so if its wrong, dont take it out on me ;-)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]For DVD Back up info: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk
    For User Guides/Downloads: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2003
  10. tekbright

tekbright Member

It has to be a conflict with the Engine. Or the way it reads the disk. I use Ritek G4's and I was burning 40-45 minutes for 4 gig with DVDXcopy, and Nero.I swear if you use Roxio and uninstall Nero you will never look back.12-13 minutes on all burns 4gig.

11. tonyl1979

tonyl1979 Member

recordnow max don't do shit about fixing 4x

'best software' doesn't necessarily do shit and I like nero.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Well, its what u do with it in the ned i suppose

13. tonyl1979

tonyl1979 Member

I tried nero5,6,record now max on it and it's the media problem. I hate people who keep say

"oh this sucks get that that's the best it only costs $5.00 / media"
    when it's more reasonable to talk about "what is the best product for a limited amount of money".

14. jorgev333

jorgev333 Member

I just bought myself a 1x-4x Sony DVD+R and am able to burn at 4x. Just bought a fresh batch of PRINCO 1x-4x DVD-R and still can't burn at 4x. Only at 2x. I guess this means that either the 4x PRINCO are mislabelled or that my SOny DRU-500AX can only burn PRINCO 4x at 2x. What a bummer. It seems to be more like a Media/Hardware problem than any of the DMA, Master/Slave, or Software combination problems. in my case.

Do any of you think that sony is responsible for releasing a more compatible firmware to 4x DVD-R's or is it that PRINCO is just not compatible. I dont have any other 4x DVD burner so i cannot test if it is the Media or the Hardware.

15. Tosca

Tosca Guest

Jorge, my money is that it is a problem with the sony burner, not the media, s. G04's do not burn 4x (they burn 2x) on a sony 500AX with the latest firmware, but they burn just fine at 4x with a pioneer 105.

16. tonyl1979

tonyl1979 Member

It's simple, it's the compability problem.
    I have TDK 440N and Sony 510A and TDK burns at 4x on princo and Sony don't.

17. jorgev333

jorgev333 Member

WHere should i "scream" so Sony gives notice to this problem? Thanks.....

18. darkan9el

darkan9el Member

I use nero and its boss.

my dvd writer sony 500a reads at 4x and burns at 4x

Tip: Know your software, read the help files, buy good media, you can't change the media, so buy a writer that everyone says will burn princo at 4x.

Forget princo, buy datawrite. just done startrek nemisis, superb quality. see my post earlier.

is the dvdwriter a secondary slave or master; mines the master.

buy a pci ide controller card.___X_X_X_X_X_[small]Hmmm![/small]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2003
  19. jorgev333

jorgev333 Member

My DVD is set as Secondary Slave (please refer to start of this page to see my config)

Darkan9el, have you been able to burn PRINCO 1x-4x Media at 4x?

I guess from the previous posts, it is safe to assume that as of now, PRINCO 4x and Sony Dual Drives dont mix.

Unfortunately, i dont have any datawrite here in Madrid.

Only PRINCO 4x for 1.50€ and Sony 4x for 3.90€

As you can see the price diff is so big that it keeps me buying the PRINCO even if i can burn only at 2x.

20. darkan9el

darkan9el Member

Hi Jorgev, I've never tried princo, mainly because the first dvd-r i tried was datawrite and didn't need to change, i'll buy one and try it on Star trek Nemisis tomorrow, if I can get hold of a princo today i will post results later on.

Worth a go for testing purposes.

PS I'd swap your DVD to the secondary Master and the LG to slave.

this is how i have mine setup and it runs pretty smooth, my cd writer is the liteon 52x24x52x very good writer.