1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printable 8x DVD+r tier1

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by MooreBaby, Feb 16, 2005.

1. MooreBaby

MooreBaby Member

Can anyone suggest a tier 1 printable that is decently priced?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. MooreBaby

MooreBaby Member

The Prodiscs I've been buying from Supermedia are about 1/2 the price but have about a 10% defect rate so far... Will the TY's really last longer or have any other tangible benefits other than defect count?

BTW, if a surface scan turns up defects this cannot be remedied by burn speed... correct?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well it's not always true, but in this case you get what you pay for.

As far as burn speed is concerned and correcting your defects on the disk I would highly doubt that burning at a slower speed would correct this if everything burnt correctly to begin with. Are these defect's noticed right after the burn or is this from older disks? If it is right after a burn it wouldnt hurt to try one at slower speed just to see, but I doubt the results would be any different.

5. MooreBaby

MooreBaby Member

Thanks for your reply. All the burns went ok regardless of which program was used for the burn: Nero, 1Click and ClomneDVD2. These are all recent burns.

I noticed some unwatchable discs, and after picking three in a row I got worried so I started checking all the discs. I will verify all burns now before moving on to the next source.

I'm still not convinced that for this application TY is worth the difference in price. Now for mission critical long term data backup - thats another story...

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That was your question so I gave you the best answer Taiyo Yuden. They are deffinatly Tier 1. The ProDisc's are not, but if you like them and are happy with the failure rate you are getting from them then why did you bother to ask the question? Sorry I am just a little confused, but again in this case you are getting exactly what you pay for and if you have to back up your movies again in 6 months from now because your media has degraded then how much will you have spent? I'm sorry but the only difference in price for the Taiyo Yuden and ProDisc at Supermedia is .02c TY's are .32c each and the Prodisc are .30c

7. MooreBaby

MooreBaby Member

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am using 8x hub printables, TY's at Supermedia are almost double that of the ProDisc, which had an unusually high failure rate - really in this instance a tier3.

If the difference was really only $.02 - 2 cents I would have already bought TY of course.

The OptoCrud that Supermedia replaced the order with (for even less money) have so far burned 100% without surface defect.

So I'm looking for printable 8x (preferrably hub printables) recommendations in tier1 or tier2.

Most of the media in the DVD-R complaint thread has to do with non-printables.

Thanks.

BTW, the link you mentioned above shows TY's at $.69 each or $69 for 100. The Prodiscs were .39 and the OptoCruds .33, less than half. And at the moment the optocruds are burning better than the Prodiscs.

If money were no issue, I would of course use Ty's as I do when making mission critical data backups. But not for other stuff.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  8. queva1

queva1 Member

just thought id let you know to try rima.com good store cheaper then supermedia with shipping and ground shipping shows up within a week cheers!